1st full day sober

After experiencing yet another horrible hangover yesterday and missing out on Easter celebrations I have decided yet again to finally stop drinking. Though it feels like I may actually stop completely this time I could barely sleep last night and am now having severe anxiety thinking about how this decision is going to impact my life. I’m nervous because I haven’t lived sober for more than a few days at a time in years. I’m scared I won’t be fun anymore and the funny thing is that I stopped going out to have fun a long time ago because I was embarrased by how much I would have to drink just to get a buzz. Thanks for listening just had to share.

4 Likes

First of all congrats on a day sober:) I’ve been there, and believe me, life is so much better on the other side. There is so much freedom! I was afraid of not being fun and missing out too, but that has just not been the case. In fact, I wonder what I was thinking and doing all that time when I could have been living in a much brighter and bigger world. Once you quit you have so many choices. So congrats again, do not be hard on yourself no matter what, there are so many of us that have been there! Sending love :heart:️:heart:️:heart:️

4 Likes

i also have experienced that nervousness of living without drinking. the idea of living withouth my drugs and (especially) my drinks was terrifying for a long time. as @Mkc mentioned there is so much freedom without relying on alcohol. it’s wonderful. and it’s within your reach no doubt: ) congratulations on getting one day down. be proud of that. i hope you decide to keep at it! best to you : )

1 Like

I know exactly how you feel. My biggest fear about living sober was that I’d miss out on fun. I haven’t.

First I told my friends and partner that I was going to quit drinking for a while, but I didn’t want to be left out of things.

Next I volunteered to DD whenever plans were underway. I made sure to have plenty of NA things to drink.

For example, this last weekend I wanted to go see a band we know that was playing at a bar about 30 miles away. I took a group in my car. I really enjoyed the band and I actually remember all the good songs they played! I danced without looking foolish and sang along i
on key! It was a much more enjoyable experience since I was sober! I was up early to get ready for family Easter plans and had a great and productive weekend!

I strongly recommend that you tell your inner circle you’re going to take a pause on the booze for a while so you’re not pressured into drinking. My friends respect my decision and make sure to keep me involved, and that I always have a coke or tea in my hand. They’re thankful when I offer sober rides and have told me they’re proud of me for my resolve. Good luck, you can do this!

2 Likes

@Vane225, I completely agree with @Trying (to let people you are closest to know that you are sober…accountability, support, and more of a commitment to sobriety) Don’t say “I’m quitting forever”…try “I’m not drinking, just for today” and the days will add up. Write down your reasons for why you shouldn’t drink (negatives) and write down your reasons for why you want to be sober (positives) so you can remind yourself when you are struggling.

3 Likes

It is a hard decision and can seem impossible in the beginning. Think of the alternative though.
:green_heart: Not waking up hungover today.
:green_heart: Getting a full nights sleep.
:green_heart: Becoming the best version of yourself!
It may seem out of reach, but if I can do it, so can you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know how you feel. I thought it was fun to drink and that I was fun to be around when I did. But it got kinda old. And my family is full of drinkers and while I want to be around them and visit them, it’s difficult for me to stay strong when everyone around me is drinking. I try to focus on the reason I stopped because in the end I’ll be happier without alcohol. My friends and family still think I’m great without it and they want to see me grow. Congrats on your day 1 of being sober! I’m going on day 4!

2 Likes

Welcome! The first few days aren’t the best but as others have said the days do add up. I was like you and hadn’t been sober more than 3 or 4 days in years. Things got pretty bad for me last month and I’ve been sober 40 days.
I was worried about not drinking too. As @Melrm suggested, just say you’re not drinking today or you’re taking a break. I told people I gave up alcohol for lent and no one questioned me further. I’ve made it through two weddings, baby showers, bar trivia nights, sports events, etc. It’s been easy sometimes and super hard others. My fiancé is my biggest support and he knows exactly what I’m doing and making myself better by not drinking.
A friend asked if I’ll go back to drinking after lent and I told him I wasn’t sure. That I’ve been feeling really good these past few weeks so I might keep it up a bit longer.
People don’t care that you’re not drinking as much as we think they do. At least, not many people. Keep your head up. You can do this!

3 Likes

Great job on this big decision! It sounds like drinking has been making you feel much worse than the anxiety you feel about not drinking…I found writing down a list of alllll the negative effects of drinking and the positive effects of sobriety was very helpful. 22 days in and I’m realizing this is one of the best decisions I’ve made in quite some time! You got this!

2 Likes