2 months sober..and dying to drink

Some days are so much harder than others! I find myself just wanting to drink, today. That’s it–I just want to. I remind myself it’s been about 2 months & a week, all the effort on my and many others’ behalf that’s been expended, how horrible I felt prior to sobriety, etc. Selfish, but I still “just want to”…Anyway, had to lie this feeling somewhere. Sometimes I just want to crawl out of my skin, I crave to drink so badly. Struggling this much after what feels like so long (and no time, all at once), reminds me I did/DO, MUST have a problem with alcohol. Trying to stay strong, one second at a time!

6 Likes

I agree, and i’m sure a lot of others have similar thoughts such as this, as do i. What comes to mind is that 1. you don’t NEED it, like you’ve already proven, and 2. you obviously stopped for a reason, just like you said.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Oliverjava & @Keith_McCormick! Really appreciate the support. Feeling better, now–stayed strong. Funny how it “comes and goes”. So far, so good.

3 Likes

Our minds are so quick to recall the “good times” we had while using or drinking. It’s like our subconscious sticks the bad times in a box and keeps the great times on the forefront. I wrote down a list of why I don’t want to drink and when I feel like I want to I’ll pull it out and read it.

3 Likes

Hi @whynot333 and welcome to the forum! Over 2 months is a major accomplishment! Be proud and stay strong. Some useful links are found here:

Also you can personalize your profile:

See you around!

2 Likes

Welcome @whynot333 to this forum full of awesome people walking this same journey with you.

1 Like

Well-done you are recovering I’m in AA and been sober for 7 days go to AA meeting in your area a get real support it works and you are worth it I’ve been fighting with this illness for two years by myself and it didn’t work at all because you don’t have to do this on your own there is alot of support out there for us alcoholics I’m also in treatment

2 Likes

Hi and welcome @whynot333. I know that struggle all too well, we all do. Congrats at how far you’ve come on this journey of sobriety. It’s certainly not an easy one. Everyone here knows that. But we must keep pushing on.

Last night was the first Friday night in a while that I’ve spent with my boyfriend. He usually has his kids on the weekends so it was really special for me. The last weekend that him and I were together was new years eve. That was our last drink. Today makes 70 days. For a split second the thought of having a drink last night crossed my mind. Not that he or I were talking about it or that we wanted to. Just in my own mind a flashback came at me full force. Then the thought was gone. I didn’t mention it to him, there was no need.

I remembered all the nights that we did drink together and all the " fun" we used to have I also remembered the monster that I could turn into under the influence. That’s all I needed to push that thought to the curb. Our relationship is a much stronger one now and I actually remember the time spent together, which is just as fun if not more enjoyable :slight_smile:

So, yeah, there is always going to be that thought of " damn I want to drink" but we have to remember, at what cost? We are better and stronger for riding this wave of emotions that can sometimes drive us insane. But, oh, it’s so worth it in the end!! So put on the boxing gloves and fight on!

Great job at saying no and staying sober!

3 Likes

Really well said @ShellyP! I completely agree.
Definately weird how the good feelings we had drinking are the most prominent, when really…at least for me…there were way more bad feelings.
Good luck all! Keep it going!

2 Likes

3 Likes