AA for an Atheist

I know an old timer in my meetings who introduced herself as, “Hi, I’m Ann and I’m in recovery.” She does not definitely herself as an alcoholic, but she’s been sober and coming to meetings for over 20 years. For her, her higher power is the collective wisdom of people in the rooms and the grace that comes with helping others stay sober.

5 Likes

Give a meeting a try if you dont like it you dont go back, its your decision for me it saved my life . and has done for a long time now wish you well

2 Likes

I did some research and looked up SMART and it really resonates with me. They have an online forum too and there are in person meetings about 40 minutes from me. I think I’m going to try it out online, get the handbook, and try out the free worksheets to see if it fits with me.

1 Like

This is the first time I’m trying anything besides Talking Sober. I’m not sure how much I’ll involve myself in the online forum yet and I’m not ready for meetings right off the bat but I did order the handbook and got a few worksheets online that I’m excited to look at. I just feel like I need a little bit more concrete direction this time to stay dedicated to why I’m staying sober. I think that in addition to talking sober will really help:)

3 Likes

I have a SMART workbook. I’ve done an in person meeting and I think the experience varies from location to location. It’s relatively new where I live and as such there was not much sobriety in the room. I think SMART would be good worked in addition to therapy, counseling or even AA.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from AA/NA vs SMART:

1 Like

Everyones recovery is different! I believe that whole heartedly… I currently go to AA and have a sponsor. Which in SMART they use recovery coachs, same thing, just different name… But do what works for you. But how do you know its not going to work if you dont try it ya know… like said, try it and if you dont like it, dont go back. But i do guarentee you, whatever meeting you do go to, you will take something from. Look for the simularites and not the differences… I know in my area the SMART meetings, they just sit there and bs honestly, thats what ive been told anyways. So if you get to a meeting where you dont get anything from it, make sure you hit a different one. I just wanted to be sure to throw that out there. Because all meetings are different. They have the same readings in the beginning, but every meeting itself is different… let us know what you end up trying and keep us posted please!

WV is like the recovery capital of the world right now. Our SMART meetings do not seem nearly as organized as yours. I didn’t even know about recovery coaches

@Just4Today do you know a guy named Rush in NA by any chance?

No but I actually go to AA nowadays.

1 Like

I have a “sponsor” that is 10 years sober and not in AA. I am not either, and will not go that route this time around. It’s not for everyone, but it it sure does have incredible success rates. SMART is one avenue I’m exploring along with individual therapy. I’m changing my lifestyle, friends, and anything else that will lead me towards success. I think the bottom line is, if your really want to get sober, you will. It’s not easy, so having a strong support system is imperative.

2 Likes

Have you checked out the SMART workbook yet? They give it out for free at meetings

1 Like

I have to get to one. I don’t feel like I live in a po-dunk city, but we only have one, and is not close at all. Once I move in a few weeks it will be closer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh holy crap. I think I had one!!! They gave it to us in DUI class. Threw it out a while back :flushed: At least I’m getting memory back :expressionless:

1 Like

I ordered one off the website, only $10 not bad. I think it’s gonna be worth it.

They sell them on the website for $10. Not free but I’m sure it’s worth it. I’m waiting for mine! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish I had a way to scan it or something but it’s a pretty big book.

1 Like

Once I get mine I could scan it and send you a copy of you wanted.

I got my copy already, but it would be cool to put up a couple pages for others to see. I’m not sure what kind of copyright they have on it, or user licensing.

Oh true. Didn’t think about that. They do have a lot of free worksheets on their site too that’s helpful.