Adding to my library...suggestions?

So i want suggestions. Friday i hit my 6 months sober milestone, as i previously posted:) to treat myself i want to get some books to add to my sobriety library. Does anyone have any suggestions? Im a fan of memoirs, but im up for anything. I dont want to spend a ton of money because i cant afford too much…sooo suggest away!!! Thanks :slight_smile:

Are you looking for books specifically about sobriety or good books in general?
I don’t really have any sober reading suggestions but one of the best memoirs I have read is, “I Love You, Ronnie” by Nancy Reagan…it’s the love letters Ronald Reagan wrote to her over their lives. It is really heartwarming.
I recently read A Man Called Ove by Frederik Backman, it’s an excellent story about life and friendship.
If you have access to a Public Library, I would suggest getting a card. Then you’d have virtually any/every book at your fingertips and they have music, movies, great actvities for kids etc. Joining and using my library is the 2nd best decision I have made this year besides getting sober :wink:
Congrats again on 6 months!!

Helpful:
The Recovery Book
Rewired
This Naked Mind
Emotional Sobriety
Being Sober
The Tao of Sobriety

Memoirs:
Lit (Mary Karr)
Cherry
The Liar’s Club
Dry (Augusten Burroughs)
Drink (Ann Johnston)
Smashed (Koren Zailckas)
Furiously Happy (Jenny Lawson)
Blackout (Sarah Hepola)
Paint it Black (Janet Fitch)
White Oleander

*Non sobriety, highly recommended *
Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
Tis’
Teacher

3 Likes

@Stac i have a library card, however in my addiction i took out books and never returned them and now owe the library money. Thats on my lists of things to fix.

Thanks @Melrm and @Oliverjava. I was looking on amazon and there are thousands of memoirs and sobriety books. So i wanted opinions instead of picking a bunch of stuff that would be potentially awful. Lol.

1 Like

Hi @Kaylanicole91. Some of us are reading “The Recovery Book” on a book club thread:

…but it’s almost like the opposite of a memoir (so far) more a recovery survey with practical steps to recovery. Not much in way of personal stories.

This maybe doesnt apply if your not a fan, but i really enjoyed reading the NOFX book. I know, its a lot of drinking and drug use, but i found Smelly’s story (the drummer) on getting clean and sober very inspiring.

The 4 agreements…best book I’ve read in a long time

2 Likes