Advice / suggestions needed

Hi. I am new here.
I have been drinking for many years and I have tried to quit unsuccessfully many times. I now have a 2 year old daughter and lately my partner and I have been fighting a lot when we drink. I have also started experiencing regular blackouts and I really want to quit for good this time for the sake of my family , especially my daughter. I am really scared of relapsing.
Any tips for me to stay on track would be really helpful.

3 Likes

Welcome @Winter

Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

Thanks. I will check it out :slight_smile:

What worked for me is really planting seeds of quitting in your mind. We all know about the devasting effects alcohol has on your life; Physically, mentally, relationships, work and in some cases legal issues. Educate yourself from others experiences, READ, READ, READ! I didn’t limit my approach at all I did everything, except AA meeting/group meetings. (I went to alanon from 5-12 yrs old). Some people need that extra support though. I haven’t needed it yet. However, if I found myself really relapsing AA is next, followed by last/worse case scenarios Rehab.

I found this community very therapeutic. Plus, I’m in a competion to be sober longer than anyone else. :laughing:

6 Likes

Welcome and congrats to you for wanting a better life for your family. Your daughter will be so much better off with a sober mom. When your child gets old enough she will know something is wrong with mommy when you drink. So it’s great you are stopping before she gets older. You need a support system AA or therapy, church, ect… Stay busy! Dont let your mind wander for to long lol my thing is reading and gardening, painting. Keep writing on here we are all here to support you! Great job for getting sober!

1 Like

Thanks. I am definitely going to look in to AA.

This forum, finally going to AA (really didn’t want to, but love it now!)
and finding an addiction counselor/trauma therapist that isn’t a freak has kept me sober for the first time in 15 years.
Good luck!
:heartpulse:

2 Likes

You are making a wonderful decision for yourself and your family, good on you! I am also early in recovery, but I have been on this wagon many times. I suggest keeping busy, finding new hobbies that you and your partner can participate in. Maybe getting a board game (hive is great, btw). I bought a bike yesterday and I’ve found that exercise is great for distracting, calming the mind and self care.

2 Likes

:green_heart: this forum
:green_heart: support from other sober ladies
:green_heart: AA/sponsor
:green_heart: reaching certain milestones and getting something tangible to represent said milestone
:green_heart: sugar/caffeine (your new best friends)
:green_heart: reading! Like @Shattered_dreams mentioned, educating yourself, reading other’s stories REALLY helps
:green_heart: various AA books
:green_heart: texting/calling someone when I want to drink. This is MAJOR!!! Call before you drink, not after

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. You have been very helpful. I went to my first AA meeting last night. It was very daunting but It definitely gave me hope , my next one will be tomorrow night :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @Treesa, Nice to see another boardgamer :raised_hands:

Reading! Make a list of recovery/ sobriety books to read. I recommend a book called “sober for good”. ( google)

Also check out SMART recovery and have a look at their workbook. https://www.smartrecovery.org/shop/product/books/smart-recovery-handbook-3rd-edition/

Posting here and some counceling really helped. Check out resources in your area, you may have access to free mental health care. If not, the money you save by not drinking can go towards that :slight_smile:

Congrats on having made this commitment!mt, and welcome to your life :blush:

2 Likes

Never will I offer “advice” for I am no expert. How do we stay sober?? I just do it!! Like Nike LOL. I had three 3 years sober before and started up again. Why?? Because of a guy​:anguished:. We started dating and he asked me why I couldn’t drink. I said I don’t know I just can’t. He said why I said I don’t know I just can’t… he said sure you can…so I did.:confused:everything worked out well for a while until my controled drinking was no longer being controlled. I know for me that I cannot drink. Not even a little. I am very lucky I have people in the “real” world that help but just here for added support. If there is ever anything I can do please ask​:heart:

2 Likes