And I find myself here

I’ve always tried to excuse my drinking by comparing myself to others that drank more. Or I can have a day or so where I don’t drink, so I must not have a problem. In reality, I have had a problem with drinking for years. I drink to get beyond drunk. I drink to forget. I drink to numb and “have fun”.

I’ve done some regrettable things, gone to jail for disorderly conduct and the list goes on. I want to sober up for my health, and I REALLY don’t want to turn into my alcoholic father.

Today is day 4. I really hope I can do this. A lot of your stories are very inspiring.

10 Likes

It’s not a bad place to be!

I could think of a morning after a night of drinking, asking myself why did you do that! (Assuming I even remember)

Recognizing there is an issue is %50 of the problem. The other %50 is correcting it. Just don’t expect any easy fixes to change your habit, until you commit %100!

Welcome to your journey! Glad you found us!

1 Like

Welcome @somegirl! I relate very much to what you wrote. I’m new here as well and have found this forum to be super helpful. Congrats on 4 days!! You can do this! :slight_smile:

Thank you guys!

1 Like

@somegirl Welcome! I love how you put have fun in parenthesis. My thoughts exactly but it rarely ends up fun and if it did I wouldn’t remember anyway. I think one of the main reasons we relapse is because all our brain remembers is how much fun we had. It doesn’t recall when we were throwing up, falling down, being a belligerent drunk and embarrassing ourselves. One of the worst things for me the morning after is going through text messages and/or messenger. I just shutter even thinking about it. I’m on day 9 so it does get better. I was sober for 4 years once and looking back that was the best time of my life health and mental health wise. My mom is an alcoholic and I always swore I would never be like her.

2 Likes

@somegirl welcome and congrats getting through the first 3 days…it’s finally out of your system and your body and mind is beginning to heal. Yes! You can do this. We all have our stories, different doc, or drinking/using patterns but we are all here for the same purpose…to stay sober and learn the tools for living…one day at a time.

I am happy for you.

Thank all of you so much. St Patty’s day is Friday. I’ll be hiding away in my apartment and probably on here all day so I’m not tempted to drink.

That’s the worse thing you can do!

Go exercise at a park! Catch a movie and grab popcorn with the money your saving! At the very least go buy a book/or hangout at the library, and read the whole weekend. You need to have a plan!

You can’t turn into a recluse, that’s not healthy either!

1 Like

Sorry! I don’t mean to come off as a dictator!

I just want you to recover and be happy about it. :trophy::1st_place_medal::trophy:

Only for the day! Lol. Too many people in this city bring flasks to parks and there are bars by the theaters. I’ll be good cooking and watching Netflix. As long as I’m not out where I can drink.

1 Like

Ooh make some shamrock cookies for that sweet tooth you’re about to get :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

So it’s not just me with a mad sweet tooth?! HA HA HA Could seriously take down 14 rows of Oreos right now no joke :laughing:

1 Like

@KSAPP Giiirrrll…I was just talking about this with @Needhelp1128. I was eating every sweet I could get my mouth on at the beginning.

2 Likes

Oh geez ha ha haaaaaa

Hi-Chews for me. Bags of em!

1 Like