Any words of wisdom?

I am 25 years old and have had a problem with alcohol since I graduated high school. At first it was binge drinking at parties (which was still acceptable to friends) and finally spiraled into losing jobs, relationships, drinking alone or hiding my drinking and just being completely out of control with my body. That being said…

I am currently 18 days sober! I feel great and am amazed what a change my perspective of life has taken. I finally got the energy and courage to talk to a doctor about mental health issues and am now on an anti depressant for the first time in my life.

The hard part is I still crave alcohol. I still think about it constantly and while I have tuned out myself trying to rationalize drinking I’m just so afraid I’m going to slip up. I guess I’m just looking to see if anyone has any good mantras, quotes, ideas or suggestions when those thoughts start to creep in. Being a retired party girl St. Patty’s day is tough so far. My mind has been turning all day trying to let myself think it’s OK to drink tonight and I really don’t want to lose those 18 days I FOUGHT for. Anything helps!

3 Likes

Can I ask are you working a program as in AA or related? That’s the best thing I could point you towards. Great place to let out your struggles and see others in different places in sobriety. Helps to find sober friends and check in on them when you are struggling. For me walking, reading, AA, this forum, and real life (sober) friends are my “liquid” courage replacements

1 Like

I’m not currently. I used to be religious but have strayed and I just worry about the religious aspect of AA. I did go to one meeting but I was significantly younger than others there and it really did not feel like a welcoming atmosphere so I kind of abandoned the idea. I did move to a larger city so I have been contemplating it! It’s helpful to know that people still stick with it.

2 Likes

The spirituality isnt forced there your idiety is whatever you want! Don’t be pressured to one that isn’t what you need. And for me it took a few meetings to get comfortable. You should try different ones. Personally I like NA but in my small town we don’t have that as an option. For the record I’m an alcoholic and NA is for that too. I am one of the older ones in my home group and I wish I would of been ready for sobriety at their ages. It does me good to go and see the other people either having the great day or the ones struggling with something it reminds me I’m not alone and where I could be if I don’t work on me! Have you gave a good look as to what you were drinking to excess over? When I truly did that then I had to believe I was worthy of giving it to my higher power to help me deal with it. Hang in there it’s hard but you can do it! And this is what works for me you’ll find yours

2 Likes

I agree with @Chad_R. AA isn’t affiliated with any sect or denomination. The big book explains it. It takes experimenting with meetings to find one you like. However, if AA isn’t your thing…Here’s some links for other types of recovery (SMART and women in sobriety) The point is, finding other people in sobriety, working on ourselves for personal growth, and learning tools for a better life…will help you further along in recovery and that addict voice will quiet down and the true you will be louder.

Different Aspects of Recovery

1 Like

my favourite mantra, there’s a YouTube clip with monks which i play in the background and join in when ready… I find meditation hard at times so i use this as a substitute

3 Likes