Anyone use Smart as part of your recovery?

I’m curious about people’s experience with Smart Recovery. Has the use of the handbook/ meetings been useful for you?
I’ve just started the handbook and found there’s a couple meetings a week nearby and would love to hear from others about their experience. I have pretty severe anxiety so knowing in detail what the meetings are like from someone who’s been first hand would be very helpful. Thanks

1 Like

Hi, I attended SMART for a few weeks, its all very informal and friendly, the tutor is in recovery too so know how you feel, mine was in a small room with a table we all sat round, at the beginning you take it in turns to say how your week has been, you can be as brief or long winded as you like, then they teach you a SMART tool and then they go round again saying how you found the meeting
. it is very much discussion based unlike AA where you just tell your story and I liked that you can help others and be helped by sharing advice. I stopped going because I prefer the AA program

I just recently started exploring NA and SMART and I personally enjoy SMART more. I like how it gives tools to understand thought distortions, irrational beliefs and ways to connect with my true self with simple yet extremely beneficial exercises. NA/AA is more of an community which may be helpful when trying to get into a new social group.

I’ve only attended the online meetings. The SMART program has great tools (worksheets) that you can print out, complete, and refer to whenever you need a reminder of why you are choosing not to drink. I think they are very helpful with implementing behavior changes & controlling urges, etc. Nice people, non-judgemental.

Thank you so much for your replies everyone. I’m trying to use every tool available to me. Meditation and exercise have been incredibly helpful. I’m not working at the moment so the worst days are when I can’t manage to use any tools. When the anxiety, self loathing, depression are so bad I can’t get out of bed for the day. It hurts, I hate wasting my days but at least I’m not spending them drinking and I know they will pass.