Average stretch of 4.18 days since Feb 😕 I can't stop relapsing

I’m struggling, I just can’t stop relapsing. I really want to do this, I really need to do this. Feel such a failure x

I was likea you… I’d get to 5 days.sometimes 8, once ever in the past 10 years did I get to 30days…and then relapse. What’s really helped me this time is to really have a go at putting a toolkit together for when I have a craving or when a niggling thought comes in to my head for a drink.

For cravings, riding them out like a wave really helps me. I feel the craving rise…feel it at its strongest and then feel it go away. That worked so well for me the first few days. For the niggling thoughts, I’ve started working on the triggers for them…like one is loneliness, so I joined a fitness group that meets three eveings a week.

Staying sober takes work, but it sounds like you want to make it work. This time is can be better.

6 Likes

Keep quitting…just keep quitting…eventually it WILL stick. You are moving in the right direction.

2 Likes

You are far from a failure! You are actually trying and that is wonderful. When I first started I found a project I knew would take me a few days and my full concentration to keep me busy. It could be worth a try. You can do this. Believe in yourself just as we all believe in you.

You’re not a failure. Stay strong. It’s not easy. Take it one day, one hour at a time. Have you tried journaling or anything like that? Like when you have that urge to give in? It sometimes helps to get out what’s going on in your head and heart when you have that pull toward your vice or addiction. It sometimes works for me.

Have you attended AA or another support group?
For me having a support system to keep me accountable got me past the 30 day mark, finally, after years of trying and failing.
Almost 70 days sober now.
It’s like learning to ride a bike, on really rough roads. You need training wheels at first and some help.
:heartpulse:

1 Like