Avoiding circular logic

I was thinking about how I drink to feel good and then feel bad about drinking, which in turn makes me drink again because I feel so ashamed and depressed for drinking. It made me think of this passage from “The Little Prince” and how I need to break this circular logic of thinking.

Why are you drinking? - the little prince asked.

• In order to forget - replied the drunkard.
  • To forget what? - inquired the little prince, who was already feeling sorry for him.
  • To forget that I am ashamed - the drunkard confessed, hanging his head.
  • Ashamed of what? - asked the little prince who wanted to help him.
  • Ashamed of drinking! - concluded the drunkard, withdrawing into total silence.
    And the little prince went away, puzzled.
    ‘Grown-ups really are very, very odd’, he said to himself as he continued his journey.
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
10 Likes

Thanks for this post. Really makes sense to me.

1 Like

Is that s real passage?? I’ve never read the book but that seems very mature for a kids book.

BUT I love it. How true. I’ve screen captured it to save for another day.

:blush:

1 Like

I meant to reply to this and then forgot. I love The Little Prince! Thank you for reminding me of this. Awesome post. :smile:

1 Like

Yes it sure is a real passage! I love the book, picked it up in my early 20’s and have always carried the messages with me. Here is some more info if you want the check it out…

About the book:

For readers who would like a quick reminder of the book and its main storyline, here is a summary of The Little Prince’s travels and those he met along the way.
If Saint-Exupéry is to be believed The Little Prince is a book for children written for grown-ups. It can be read on many different levels to provide pleasure and food for thought for readers of all ages.
Read more here: http://www.thelittleprince.com/work/the-story/

I have a copy of the book but in French…I have a feeling I’d miss out on a lot of it if I don’t read it in English. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes