Calories in your drinks

Have you ever googled how many calories are in alcoholic drinks? Nope, nor had I until I wondered why I was turning into such a fat mess haha.

Here are just a couple of examples

A 1-oz. shot of Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey contains about 65 calories. None of those calories are from fat. An ounce of Jack Daniel’s contains no carbohydrates or dietary fiber.

198 Calories in Stella Artois Lager, 4.8%, 440ml

A standard glass of red or white wine (175ml) with 13% ABV could also contain up to 160 calories, similar to a slice of Madeira cake.

(Wouldn’t it be amazing if there was legislation to include this information on labels)

3 Likes

I totally agree with you!!! Since I quit drinking (this past Sunday), I’ve already lost a little over 2 lbs … that’s enough to keep me from drinking :joy:

Oh I knew. I knew so hard. Lol, I had my consumption down to a science. I knew if I drank this many drinks, I could not eat dinner, or had to skip lunch, etc. Lots of calories in liquor, beer and especially mixed drinks. Even if you get low calorie beer, that lowers the alcohol content. I liked the extremely-high-knock-you-on-your-ass content, so higher the calories.

Craft beers were my fave because they were dark and usually had a pretty high %.

3 Likes

You people sound like a bunch of alcoholics…lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Yes, I too did the calorie research and figured out how much I’d have to get my fat ass to run on the treadmill to take off the calories. It was exhausting.

2 Likes

I know right? @Melrm sometimes I re-read my posts and I’m like, “geez I’m an alcoholic.” It’s so obvious to me now. That’s not normal thinking.

1 Like

I Google this the other day too. I got such a shock to learn that in my “little 4 pack” I consumed around a 3rd of the average daily allowance of calories! No wonder I had become a blob. I haven’t lost any weight yet - at least not on the scales, but the jeans have got looser and I’ve had to tighten the belt. Also I don’t look as ‘pregnant’ as I did, (and yes people had started asking if I was :disappointed:) So that’s helped boost my determination to keep fighting.

I googled the calories in my favorite craft beer Lagunitas Sucks a while back and was shocked to find that one beer contained 240 calories. 240! And I wouldn’t have just one so the calories were racking up. No wonder I’ve lost 5 pounds in the last 30 days without working out!

3 Likes

When I drink I need to snack, chips or candy or an extra sandwich. I do not feel the need to eat those extra calories now. And with all the water and tea etc. I keep on peeing :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah I have struggled with anorexia and alcoholism. So I would not eat so I could drink alcohol and stay thin. Fucked up. I have to get my shit together or I will die.

I’ve been there @Pitbullgirl844. There were days where I only consumed about 100 calories from food. So like 2-3 slices of cheese to go with my wine and the lime with my tequila. Then I started drinking vodka sodas with lime to reduce calories. :fearful:

It’s possible to come out of it! Extra hugs to all of you ladies who are/were in this same boat.

Thank you. I am hopeful that I will be ok

" knew if I drank this many drinks, I could not eat dinner, or had to skip lunch, etc. "

Ah I know that feeling too well. As a teenager I had anorexia and used to get my only calories from alco pops, loaded with sugar. As I got older and even when I recovered from the eating disorder, I still swapped food for alcohol.

1 Like

This is a great thread!. I lost 3 pounds in my first month (October 7- November 7) which felt super great. But then my head found out! So I figured I could snack more and gained back the 3 pounds plus 5 more! It was shocking to see that. I am 54, so most people probably won’t have as hard of a time taking weight off… I need to find a way to work out, or walk up and down my street which has a huge hill.

2 Likes

I lost 4 pounds when I first quit but then discovered my sweet tooth and put them back on!! I have lost about 10 pounds in recent weeks with all the stress - that is the only plus point LOL! I am 47 and it is so hard to lose weight when you are in middle aged spread ha ha!!

1 Like

No wonder all of my clothes are fitting better! There were many nights when I’d have a “casual” 5 glasses or so of wine… umm like 1000 calories!? Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

<< Not sure if anyone has seen this website but woah. Just reading a few of the negative impacts alcohol has on the body… I want to take back every single drop of alcohol I have ever drank. Really hits home reading facts like this.

3 Likes

I use to stay on the elliptical until I burned off the calories in bottle(s) of wine I was planning to drink that night!

1 Like