Coming up one 1 week for the 100th time

1 week, again. Need to get my life back, but that requires having to see an abusive ex. She’s pretty much the mother of all triggers.

You’ve got this!

You have to keep your sobriety. Don’t let her win. You and your sobriety are the most important thing that there is. I have heard people say that you need to be selfish to make your sobriety stick. Selfishness usually isn’t something an alcoholic is incapable of.

Hey now! I just reached week 1 for the first time in a 100 tries so don’t diminish that shit :slight_smile: it’s a big accomplishment. Also, the BEST revenge on an ex is becoming the absolute best version of yourself so don’t let her or the alcohol win. You can do it!

3 Likes

To have to be with an abusive ex and trigger face-to-face is probably one of the hardest thing a person can do. Abuse doesn’t just end with the person that dolled it out, either, it can affect us long term psychologically. When I’m triggered by my past abuse, I try to think about my ex winning if I give in to unhealthy coping and one of his things was that he always had to win. I don’t want to give him that pleasure, even if we haven’t had contact in 7 years.
I don’t know you’re whole story and I’m not trying to act like I understand but I sympathise tremendously with you.
You got this. She doesn’t decide your fate.

Stay strong

Quitting is easy. It’s staying quit that’s hard. It doesn’t matter if it’s the 1st time or the 101st time. Stick and stay. You had to learn to do your drug of choice. You’ll have to learn to undo it and you can.
Three years, two months, twenty eight days,
Chandler

3 Likes

You got this. Take it one day at a time!!

I know how you feel! I’ve quit so many times and keep coming back. I was sober for 6 months 1 time and I’ve never felt so good. Then I get confident and think that I’m doing so well I can handle it once. That is a lie your addiction tells you to be fed. Just take it day by day and recognize when your addiction is trying to trick you into slipping up!

1 Like