Dangerously close to relapse

I have been struggling with my inner self today. I got really nervous earlier and then began rationalizing how I could “drink responsibly”. I went to a baseball activity with my son and on the way home I passed my usual beer store. I got almost home and turned around to go back. I got to the drive thru window and ordered up my beer. While the guy was gone to get it my son looked at me and said “I thought you stopped drinking”. I told him he was right and drive away without the beer.
I feel that I won in a way because I did not buy the drinks but also feel like a crap dad for getting so close to relapse again. Getting it out on here feels good. You all are amazing and inspiring.

6 Likes

Very cool. 3 years and 3 plus months in, I am very happy w my life today.
Best,
Chandler

Great job and thank god for your son! I told my daughter too that I don’t drink anymore. She’s almost 12 now and I know she’d say something if I started again.

2 Likes

That is amazing! Congratulations! :heart:️:heart:️:heart:️ Your son is so wonderful for looking out for you too xx

1 Like

Excellent! Got called out by your son. May the force be with him :grin:

1 Like

@Movingonward good thing your son was there. It does get easier the longer you don’t drink. And I bet your son was very proud of you for not buying it as we all are that you drove off. You can do it go to as many meetings as you can when I came back to AA in 89 I went to 90 meetings in 90 days that helped me so much. Good luck.

1 Like

Hey @Movingonward. The important thing is that you listened to him, and know for next time.

I see a number of people out here today struggling with slip/relapse. I would recommend spending some time studying relapse prevention and how to deal with cravings. Some good resources are in these posts:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

1 Like