Day 17 sober- 1st time posting

I’m very proud of making it this far without alcohol or weed. Weed was a daily thing for me, so that was kind of even harder to give up, in a way. I’m grateful for being more clear headed though.

I am still having trouble sleeping. I am also still having emotional days. I get lost in my own head and start getting down on myself. And this morning, I planned on going to a 9:30am meeting, but slept until 10:30am. I was also supposed to go on a hike with my friend, but cancelled on that too.

I’m going to a 7pm meeting for sure, and I’ve just been binge watching Netflix until I need to get off my couch. Is this considered self care or avoidance? After binge drinking, I’d have many days where I’d lay on the couch depressed and ignore people or tell them I didn’t feel well enough to go out.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has these days/thoughts. Hope everyone’s day is going well :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome @Jenny_E79! You are definitely not alone. One of the most challenging things about sobriety is having to actually experience all of your emotions again. There are a few things to check out that might help you understand why this is happening.

First: look into PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome). You can use the magnifier on here to search for the tag. There are many threads with information on this topic.

Second: look into the effects alcohol has on your brain chemistry.

It takes a while for things to even out. Try not to let it consume you. It does get easier. One thing I remind myself when I am feeling down or frustrated is that emotions can’t hurt me but drinking will. Also, taking a long shower or bath and washing my hair can help to improve my mood. Stay strong! You can do this!

2 Likes

Welcome and congrats @Jenny_E79 :relaxed: