Day 2 sober

Hi All!

I’m sober from booze 2 days and just drank soooo much water. I had the worst headache and just didn’t think to drink at all. I have this attitude that if it’s not alcohol or coffee “what’s the point?” I’ve had issues with drinking for a few years, I’m 34. I black out often and I get massive hangovers which I “fix” by going to brunch to pretend to be fancy but actually I’m just day drinking. I’ve used alcohol as a way to regulate my emotions and as a social tool that doesn’t work out so well because I usually get sloppy. I’ve broken my leg drunk and usually wake up with bruises from what I’m guessing is blackout parcore. I’m really fun when I’m drunk and people see me as uptight (I’m just introverted I swear!!) when I’m sober. For the past few months all my friends revolve around the neighborhood bar. Before that, I didn’t really have any for a long time. I havent kept it a secret that I’ve wanted to quit and I hangout with friends doing other things besides drinking. I’m just worried that I’ll fall back into old habits when I get the urge to be social. I don’t like social media but I thought this community might be encouraging because we are all going through the same thing. I tried AA in the past for a week straight and I like the community aspect of it but it felt wrong for me. I want to get my life together and this feels like the right time.

13 Likes

Hi @RobinsEggBlue welcome and thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on your decision to become sober. Here is a good thread about early recovery and withdrawals:

2 Likes

Welcome @RobinsEggBlue

1 Like

Hi @RobinsEggBlue !!! Welcome!!!

1 Like

Hello! Welcome! @RobinsEggBlue :bird:

1 Like

Welcome @RobinsEggBlue! I can definitely relate to what you said about thinking “what’s the point” if whatever I’m consuming isn’t going to pep me up or chill me out. Over time I have started to actually look at health benefits of what I consume.

After quitting drinking you start to be more in tune with your body and it’s actual needs. For instance - many people experience very strong sugar cravings and an increased appetite in early recovery. That’s because your body is used to being pumped full of empty calories and sugar from alcohol.

This forum is a wealth of information! I find that learning about how alcohol actually affects the body (specifically the brain) can be very helpful in understanding the cravings and how to replace alcohol with what your body actually needs.

Anyway, great job on making the decision to quit and getting through the first two days! :blush: When I first made the decision to quit I needed some humor to cut the intensity. I think you might enjoy this:

3 Likes

The social stuff is the hardest. Stay open to making new friends. They may not be the people you expect. A therapist told me once that when it comes to meaningful relationships, you only need a few to be happy. Even one sober friend can be a huge support. (Plus all of us here, duh :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Welcome @RobinsEggBlue and thank you for sharing! Social situations can be difficult in the beginning. You’re basically relearning how to enjoy life sober, and it takes practice. Keep coming here and posting! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome! I’m fairly new here and have 22 days sober. I totally understand the social aspect of drinking and how scary it can be to quit. I am a fairly outgoing person but booze always made me feel more comfortable around people I didn’t know or hadn’t made a real connection with. This past Saturday I made it through my first wedding being sober. I actually had a great time and didn’t get any of the judgment I feared. Being social and sober is possible! :grinning: I have another wedding this weekend and I am planning and hoping on staying sober. I know though that I can’t make any plans or decisions except the ones in front of me today. I’ll handle Saturday when it gets here. This forum has really helped me these past few weeks…it’s the best tool I’ve found and I’m grateful for it. Keep going, the first week is hard but you’ll be glad you pushed through it.

1 Like

It’s always the right time to do what’s right. Congratulations. Some people would say “Good Luck”, but there’s no such thing. There’s just work and that’s good, because you can control “work”. I had to become conscious of my triggers, now I see them and can adjust. Today is a Trigger Day. Sunny and beautiful here I. Georgia. The type of day I’d go downtown, sit at a bar and “make friends”. I survived “My Dark Days”. You can as well.
Three years, two months, twenty eight days,
Chandler

3 Likes

I’ll use this as an analogy; I’m a gun when you mix me and alcohol together. I know where the trigger is. I can put my finger on the trigger. I can aim the gun anywhere I want to; hobby, exercise, reading, etc. What I won’t do is pull the trigger at alcohol.

I know the outcome and the final results!

3 Likes