Day one ... again

Back to day one. I really think i just need to get a ride from work so I don’t stop at the store. Some days that’s the hardest to just get my kids and go home. Maybe I’ll leave my money at home today.

7 Likes

It’s hard. Oh! I know. Today I have to vow zero tolerance from poison too. I have kids too. They drive me crazy too.

Let’s be good role models to them. We can do this for today.

2 Likes

Hi, my day one again 2.

3 Likes

I know how you feel, on day 3 after a month sober. Evaluate what causes you to use this time and make the necessary changes so it doesn’t happen again. And forgive yourself. I’m still struggling with that one.

2 Likes

That’s the problem I feel like it’s everything and sometimes I just want to drink because it makes me not care how overwhelmed I am. All the time. But I just have an unhealthy way of thinking and I need to change. But how :thinking:

But drinking will never improve how overwhelmed you are.
My son died abt 18 months ago. He was 11. I was sober for the last 14 months he “was him” and the last 22 months of his life.
The only way I survived losing him was the knowledge that he saw me sober those last 14 months.
The greatest gift you can ever give your children; a Sober You.
Best,
Chandler

7 Likes

:heart: thank you. Ill remember this forever. That is the most important thing. My daughter is 12 and I know she notices but I am always making excuses. Sometimes I feel like I’m 2 different people.

1 Like

@Kathy we all have relapses in the beginning. I think it’s almost a given! I’ve been in and out of AA since 2012. I just kept resetting! Never getting past day 10.

I’m finishing day 26 today and I know my sobriety is vulnerable. I look back on my relapses and try to learn from them. I used to drink because I felt bad and thought it would make me feel better. In reality, I felt bad because I was drinking.

Leaving your money at home, taking an alternate route, and leaving no time to stop for alcohol are some ideas. What started working for me was committing to being sober for just today. Not worrying about tomorrow or saying “never again”. Just today. After day one you will feel a little better every day. Feel the negative feelings, give your mind and body a chance to feel and make new coping strategies. You will be surprised how quickly the days add up! Stay strong and stay connected :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me, drinking successfully was like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football only to have Lucy pull it away…again. I had to completely surrender to the fact that I will never get a foot on that ball. I KNEW that as long as I kept drinking I was never going to be the person I wanted to be or have the peace of mind I desperately wanted. But just like Charlie Brown I just could not resist another attempt. I was never able to get sober on my own and that’s why today I am a grateful member of the fellowship of AA. I had a lot of fear at first but someone told me “Nobody in this room came in here on a winning streak” and that made me feel better. There IS a solution to our common problem. The best advice I can give you, if you are alcoholic, is to go to a meeting and give yourself the best chance to succeed.

2 Likes

It definitely seems to help when you set your mind to it and are in a good mood. I feel I got lucky yesterday. It seemed too easy. I made it thru day one. I’m going to my daughter’s softball practice tonight so that will help. :grinning:

1 Like

I remember giving my boyfriend my debit card so I wouldn’t stop after work…that didn’t help. Stopped at the bank, went inside and withdrew cash from the teller. My point is, you’ll need to build you willpower and confidence. Say NO when you’re driving by the store. As someone mentioned, take a new way home. Find a friend you can call who will talk you down. It gets hard to drive by the liquor stores but for everyday that you do is an accomplishment. Stay strong!

3 Likes

Just to share my opionion, it’s that dirty little high which is haunting me personally, so I’m trying to channel this feelings into a productive, healthy thing like sports or being creative.

I’m going to take the kids to the playground after work. On day 2!!!

2 Likes