Day one, and what made me decide

Today marks the day that I decided to stop drinking. About an hour ago I got fired from my job for once again not showing up at 4:30am, I have done this before and have gotten off with a warning, they said if it happens again I will have to be fired, and this morning it happened. I went out for one to many last night and I stayed untill bar close, got home at 2:30, had to be up in a hour, I knew in the back of my head I wasn’t going to be up but drunk me didn’t care, I ended up sleeping untill 9:30 waking up to angry texts from my co workers, and I was asked to come in, and that’s it, got fired. I’m only 21 fucking years old, I went on a 2 month drinking binge when I was in college and ended up stop going to college and dropped out because of it, alcohol has ruined so many things for me and it took me loosing s job that I loved to realize it, and it’s discusting and I hate myself for it. So this is why I am getting sober. I drink every single day, not always do I get drunk, but not a day goes by where I won’t have something alcoholic to drink. And i need to stop. Luckily I work two jobs and I still have my other one to fall back on, but i can’t keep ruining my life, driving drunk, feeling like I am invincible, it’s only a matter of time I get pulled over and a gegba DUI, so for all that and more, I’m done.

7 Likes

You know what? Good job. :slight_smile: For wanting to change your life for the better.

2 Likes

We’re all here to support each other so reach out if you need to. All of our stories are eerily similar. Awwww the life of an addict. Good luck on your journey!

1 Like

Congratulations on making that decision, and at 21 , that’s going to save you a whole lot of years that I certainly lost out on. Welcome aboard :blush:

4 Likes

@sallyD great quote!!

1 Like

Hi @Wisco and welcome to the forum! The good news is you’re young and have a whole sober life ahead of you! The first few days and weeks can be very difficult, stay strong and get as much support/info as you can - This app/forum, reading/education, AA or other meetings, maybe an outpatient program, etc. Some useful links are found here (but don’t overload yourself):

Also you can personalize your profile:

Thank you very much! I hope it all goes well, and I’m happy I made this decision now, i feel great so far, just kinda hard being 21 and having some of my friends still turning 21 and not being able to celebrate with them the way I want to haha

One thing I wish I had realized when I was 21 is that the group of people partying hard and getting fucked up is actually a pretty small group of people. There is a large circle of 21 year olds who are very cool, do awesome stuff and have their shit together. Be open to new people. You may end up making some unlikely lifelong friends! :slight_smile: