Disclosing to parents/loved ones

Hello Everyone,

I didn’t see a topic on this and wanted to share my story about telling my mother that I have a drinking problem. I have been dry for a little over four months and for the first time, I can actually imagine a life without alcohol.

When I first decided to quit drinking, I didn’t tell anyone. I had thought about cutting back, quitting, getting help so many times before that it felt pointless to tell people about it when I didn’t believe I would last more than a 24 hours. Since then, more people know about my alcoholism than I ever imagined. However, I was fully prepared to (and thought I could) hide this from my mom for the rest of my life.

Like most people, I feel ashamed, guilty, and weak because of my alcoholism. But mostly, I felt like I was letting her down. She has two other sons, (my half brothers), who both suffer from addiction issues. One is in prison for a decision he made while high and drunk and the other is a meth addict. Needless to say, I saw how their addictions hurt her and I was determined not to do the same.

My mom and I just finished a trip in Europe, and as you can imagine, my mom was a little confused about why I was never drinking. Mostly because she had never known me to refuse a drink. About a week in I was tired of her asking me why, so I just sort of word-vommited to her that I wasn’t drinking anymore. She kept asking me why until I told her I was an alcoholic. She cried.

Since I told her, it has been wonderful. I have been able to make jokes about it (my form of coping), talk to her about my half-brothers with my hands on experience, and not have to lie about who and what I am. She has given me nothing but support and I am really glad I told her.

I’m sure my fear of disclosing is not unique. I hope that this story (and others are welcome to share theirs), encourages others to take a leap of faith with their family and loved ones about their addiction.

-Elliot

6 Likes

Awesome share Eliot, I’m sure many others also struggle with this. Great to see that it all worked out for the better.

1 Like

I told my mum and dad about my problem a few days ago. I didn’t share all of the details. Either I wasn’t ready or it wasn’t the time. But it felt so good to let them know. After telling them I have managed to go the longest time without a drink (while craving a drink ) for a very long time. I have a long way to go but sharing my problem and not having to lie about it, even by omission is a weight off.
Your share made me cry! Good luck to you and to tour family.

1 Like

Sharing with friends and family can sometimes be our biggest help.
My mom was a hardcore alcoholic for most of my life but has since been sober for 30 years.
Talking with her about my disease helps me so much because few people i know understand what I’m going through like she does.