Does anyone else feel that they DON'T need AA?

I’ll just stick to dealing with today.
Peace~

2 Likes

Meaning you were powerless to alcohol otherwise you wouldn’t be at the point your at…not that your powerless completley.
i think people take a lot of what’s being said in AA out of context because of their own personal dilemmas with their own personal issues.
They mention “higher power” and immediately people assume “god” and because they might not believe in God right away shun AA as some religious cult. They say “powerless” and people become offended…i don’t believe in everything AA has to say but like I’ve said before…read been the lines.

4 Likes

Ok well here is the little that I know & it’s not much. I didn’t know anything at all about AA until 4 weeks ago, not a damm thing really. After trying by myself for about 3 years to quit I realized that wasn’t going to happen. I still didn’t really care about myself but I did care about others close to me. The next day I walked into that room not knowing what to expext. Yes a bit scary ,especially when the meeting gets refocused to you being a first timer. But these people really care, just like all of you. Yes I looked at that 1st step & it actually made me feel good, because I knew I wasn’t alone & all these people also felt like they had no control after that 1st drink. (Powerless)
As far as the higher power, I really didn’t think much at all about going there that 1st night. Honestly it was like my higher power God led me there.

4 Likes

If someone came to this forum…twice.
Then cast a judgment that it didn’t work and it was all wrong…what would you tell them?

3 Likes

I am totally powerless over alcohol…if i didn’t admit that then I’d still be a total wreck of a person and i definitley wouldn’t be in this forum.

2 Likes

@Oliverjava i didnt get AA either and I used to sit in rehab and in aa meetings in my early recovery and think exactly the same things as you but the one thing I did know was that I am an ALCOHOLIC. You won’t understand what you don’t understand about it all unless you keep going to AA meetings, it takes time and open minded willingness to understand AA and the 12step programme. People go to AA because for them nothing else has worked. It works for me. I’m a year sober and I’d be dead now if I didn’t go to those meetings and work the 12 steps.

4 Likes

I don’t think anybody is implying that. But anyway. Happy Sunday :blush:

3 Likes

@Oliverjava Powerless to me, doesn’t mean I have no power, it means once I take that first drink, or pill or whatever, that I am powerless over what happens next. If I had power over alcohol and drugs I wouldn’t need to stop either of them. And the idea of having a power greater than myself means I am not the end all of this world, it’s about having some humility. A higher power doesn’t have to mean God, for many of us it does, but it can simply mean the power of the fellowship, or just an understanding that I did not create this world, that “something out there” is greater than I am. AA has been around since 1935, it has saved millions of people all over the world so I guess they are doing something special. Is it for everyone? I’m sure it’s not, but if nothing else works, it’s worth a shot (no pun intended…lol). Hoped that helped a little. Stay strong, stay sober🌹

5 Likes

I was sober for 2 years before without AA. As an atheist, I preferred the more scientific approach of just simple talk therapy and that worked great. I just fell off the wagon from boredom, I think. Then I went to AA, several different groups over several weeks… hated it. Found the people so condescending. A few even told me, “You’ll never get sober without god.” Psh, whatever. I’m 7 days sober now. That being said, I do think it’s very important to seek out therapy, group or individual, and to find support to help you get through it. I don’t think anybody can really do it alone.

1 Like

I had 16 months at one point I was miserable. If you can truly to do without AA you are very strong. I do agree with the first reply.
AA is suggested! I being so young fell into it and I’m actually very happy I did. I’m at 6 months and haven’t been happy like this in a long time.

I envy anyone and everyone that can do it without the most common 12 step organization on the planet. If worse comes to worse and you can get over your views of “religion” you see in AA you’ll know where to go
You don’t need to be religious or put your faith in a single imaginary person or however you see “God” all you need is to know you are not all powerful and let whatever you consider to be more powerful than yourself in order to work AA’s steps

Congrats on the 32 days!!

3 Likes

Higher power does not have to be God/Jesus…it is anything that has a higher power than yourself. Your higher power could be the lock on the door that keeps you in the house instead of at a bar, or whatever. AA is not RELIGIOUS, it is SPIRITUAL. No one is shoving God at you in a meeting, but people need something to believe in…whatever it may be. My friends higher power was her dog for years…but that is what got her through!

5 Likes

AA works for me but, each person has their own path to walk. It’s not for everyone. I have known people who abstain without meetings. Some people in AA get preachy and think their way is the only way. Personally, my way is the right way for me and others have to find their own way. No matter what path you travel, I’m sure I speak for all of us when saying…I wish you happiness and success in your sobriety!!! :heart:

3 Likes

Hi,
If you read my posts in this forum, you’ll recognize me as the Russell Brand groupie. His book Recovery is what led me to breaking with my alcoholic cycle. (Day 63 today). His book has a nice alternative take on the 12 steps. Opening chapter is Step 1: Are You A Bit Fucked?

I liked his humour, and he addrresses the atheist roadblock. Worth a read.

P.S. i am not doing AA, but am applying some of the principles.

2 Likes

Everybody is different. I dont personally go to AA but I have read some of the big book and listen to some AA audios on youtube. I do believe in a higher power but by all mean it isnt the only way to quit. Find what helps you and stick with what works.

I love Russell. I am in AA but, he is great. It’s really inspiring to listen to him. He’s easy to look at too…lol. He has a great perspective on so many issues and is a great motivator.

1 Like

Yes, I agree, easy to look at too :wink: I’m going to see him in Liverpool March 19 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am officially jealous!!!

Yes… AA did not work for me but I did relapse after a year without support… I’m trying one called life ring now… It takes religion and politics out of recovery. There are other options out there, but do try to find some support in a community… :heart:

Going to a life ring meeting tomorrow and will post about it… Good luck :shamrock:

A.A not for everyone and nowadays there is other programs on the go when i got sober at that time there was only AA available so i had no choice but i went to meetings got a sponsor got on the program and its worked for me to date wish everyone well

2 Likes

I like the availabilty and support of AA. There are tons of meetings, some great, some terrible. I do know that I need some kind of outside support and structure to stop out of control drinking. I get a lot out of sharing and listening in AA. I can reach out to a ton of experienced people. I also know that I am not that important and the universe is powerful and if I am open and honest, it/God will help guide me in a more fulfilling direction. Thats just how it makes sense to me. AA is not for everyone - it does have a good track record of success for longterm sobriety. The surrender is empowering.

2 Likes