Drinking Dreams?

Ok I’ve only been sober (this time) for a week but I had my first drunk dream last night! I was drunk driving! I had a sobriety of nine months a couple of years ago but just getting back to recommitting. During that time I would have occasional drinking dreams too. Does anyone else get drinking dreams? What do you think it’s from? Does it go away?

1 Like

I get them occasionally. I also get the ones where i almost drink and then realize what I’m doing. I like those because i think its my brain actually making those neuro connections of me not drinking anymore. :grin:

I have had them a few times…they come from our focus on sobriety

When I first stopped drinking and was in treatment I would have so many dreams that I was drunk and wake up feeling shame and guilt. But after a while they stopped, I think it was just my fears of relapsing that caused the dreams.

I remember my dreams almost regularly, if I don’t overdrink and blackout, and I have only gotten “drinking dreams” during my sober runs. And they were of me in positive situations behaving well, around friends having a good time.

This is not how alcoholism looks for me. And it means to me, my sober and conscious mind is glorifying the past and choosing only good pieces to remember. My brain wants me to drink so when I deprive my body of the chemical it craves, and resisting the urge and pushing my mind to ultimate discipline, my mind is tricking me into drinking again by showing me these “good times”. In summary, my alcoholic brain chooses to ignore the DUIs, the failed education, the ruined relationships; instead, it reminds me of how good the margarita tastes or the way whiskey goes well with laundry.

Stay strong and persevere💗

I used to have really bad night terrors. Not being able to remember them properly but I would always wake up cold and soaking,

In terms of drunk, I used to go through moments of surrealism, if you have a drink and you get that floaty feeling and not being able to concentrate, that used to happen to me all the time. Quite hard to describe in a dream state.

I dreamt i was in a pub last week and all i keep doing was pouring buckets of water all over the wooden floor and sweeping all the water out of the door. ???