Family Struggle

Hello, I’m Brian. 24 year old who is going on 13 days clean from meth. I’m having family issues, mainly with my mom. When I became an addict, I basically shut out everyone I loved most. After a year of being homeless, sleeping on the sides of convenience stores, parks, occasionally a friend’s couch, I manned up and called my family. They’ve been nothing but supportive but my mother an butt heads like crazy. I feel like a burden here. I feel like I’m always in the way. I’m sleeping in the living room and, don’t get me wrong, it’s a 5 star hotel compared to the streets, but I don’t have my own space. I feel like my mom doesn’t trust me or really want me here, which I don’t really blame her. I’m a drug addict. Barely 13 days sober. We argue about everything. I’m very irritable since I’ve been back because of the withdrawals which makes things quite hostile. I dont know what I’m asking for here, but any advice on how to calm myself down and not make her so upset would be awesome. I love my mom. She’s the best person in the world. I just wish I could stop breaking her heart and making her so on edge…

1 Like

Congrats on your 13 days @Brian_Cruz You should tell your mom how you feel… or Let her read the message you wrote. Good luck!

3 Likes

Hi @Brian_Cruz and welcome to the forum. Sound like a tough situation. I mean you are basically detoxing in your mother’s home, and she is obviously not a trained professional who knows what that might involve. Maybe let her know that things can get better after you have more clean time, and what the goal it, but don’t get her expectations too high - it may be a long struggle with slips possible. Also stay calm and understand what she basically expects from you when there. Maybe even go out of the way to do extra things she doesn’t ask for like cleaning, cooking, or helping out - staying busy is great for you too! Hope I’m not overstepping with limited knowledge I have of your sit. Others here will chime in.

For more reading/info see links here:

2 Likes

@Brian_Cruz even though you’re the one detoxing, she’s going through this with you. She sounds like she has nothing but your best interest in mind. Addiction effects everyone involved. It has to be hard for her watching you go through this pain. She may be questioning where she went wrong. All this requires a lot of patience with you and her. I think it’s time to sit down and have a real talk and address the elephant in the room. Here’s your problem…what’s the solution? What steps are you taking in your recovery? NA? And like @JohnSee said, start helping around the house and get a healthy routine going.

2 Likes

I agree with @Bee. Communication is key.

@Brian_Cruz how’s it going?