Fear of sharing

Hi everyone! Just wondering does anyone else have a fear of sharing in meetings? I’m finding this fear is making me just want to hide and not bother going as the thought of sharing is making it hard to take in all the amazing things I do hear in the meetings. I have bad anixety and don’t like groups as it is. Any tips or people who can relate?

2 Likes

I absolutely HATE speaking in meetings. Lol I rarely Do. I get more out of talking to people after or before them lol they keep telling me after a while it will get easier. Well its been almost 5 months and I’m still shy af. I try to read how it works or the promises at least once a week Though to get me out of my comfort zone. Just volunteer to read it

4 Likes

Good to know someone gets this!! It’s the only thing I don’t like about them. I feel like because I’m in early recovery listening is enough at the moment. I read the promises as often as possible because then I feel like I’m still contributing but I’m finding myself spending more and more time fretting over being asked to share (have been a few times before) and it’s stopping me really feeling the speakers words

@MarsArgo fear of public speaking is very common. If you don’t feel ready to share at a meeting you don’t have to. If you are called on to speak, simply say 'thank you for calling on me but I’m going to pass". No one will judge you or be upset if you don’t share. For many of us, it took a long time to feel comfortable enough and safe enough to share.

I just started sharing in 2016, having been in the AA rooms since 2012. The best thing you can do is keep going back, listen and absorb everything you can, and get a sponsor. Once you start sharing one one one with your sponsor, you might begin to feel more comfortable in the group setting. Remember, everyone in the room is there for the same reason you are. Even if they have many years of sobriety, they were once newcomers and probably afraid too. Stay strong and stay connected!

2 Likes

yea like @Roga said you don’t have to share if you don’t want to. over a decade ago i had to attend meetings for probation. hardly spoke a word. i didn’t want to be there and didn’t really give a shit about anything besides getting my paper signed. and nobody gave a damn that i didn’t speak. now i’m going on my own. tonight will be my eighth meeting i’ve introduced myself to the group at only one meeting, i often don’t say much or anything at all. you mentioned you’re hearing amazing things in the meetings, so keep going! maybe do as @Steve92 said and volunteer to read how it works or the promises? best to you : )

2 Likes

Thank you @Roga and @les. I’m glad there are other alternatives rather then just speaking due to feeling pressured. I wouldn’t want to make anyone feel like I wasn’t present but I find that for me at the moment I need to hear everything and take in the process rather then cause myself anxiety that will cause me to give up. Appreciate you sharing your experience and for giving me more courage to know my limits and do what I feel comfortable with at the moment :blush: I had a sponser who was very harsh and who wasn’t the right fit for me (nothing personal just different people!) so I’m hoping soon the right person comes along who I can truly trust and open upto. Until then I’m going to go to BB and step meetings and keep trying!! Best of luck to all :sun_behind_small_cloud:

Yep , I always get nervous about sharing. Been in and out of meetings for nearly 2 years now. I seem to feel comfortable in smaller meetings - mine vary from 10 to 40 people. I will say I’m just going to listen thanks. Nobody will ever mind!
One other thing to remember. Think of all the good you get from other people’s stuff. It might be that what you do say , however irrelevant you might think it to be, is just what someone else needs to hear!