Feeling so lost

I’m 32 and have struggled with alcohol for about one year. My last drink was 14h ago and I am still struggling with both the hang and the withdrawal symptoms. This is the second time I was unable to go to work because of alcohol and I can barely remember the last 4 days.

I need to do something about it, I remember how it was growing up with both alcoholic parents but I still drink.

I look so terrible, I stopped looking after myself and I’m spending so much money on alcohol!!

It stops today before I lose everyone and everything I care about.

3 Likes

Welcome @Eysa You’ve definitely found a great place to be!
We are all in this together and we are all here for you :purple_heart:

1 Like

Thank you everyone, I’m just feeling so sorry for myself :frowning:

I will read through as much as I can here, seems like an awesome place

2 Likes

easy does it. i kno withdrawal is tough but just remember, you not in it alone

Hi @Eysa and welcome to the forum. I’m not sure if you have tried to stop before, many of us tried multiple times before it “stuck”. But it is the greatest decision you can ever make.

The first few days and weeks can be very difficult, stay strong and get as much support/info as you can - This app/forum, reading/education, AA or other meetings, maybe an outpatient program, etc. Some useful links are found here:

Just as an fyi, you can personalize your profile:

See you around and stay strong!

1 Like

I also called in sick to work today due to being so hungover I couldn’t honestly do my job competently. You’re not alone. Spent the day reflecting on what triggered the relapse and walked 15kilometers. I’m ready to start over on Day 1 again. Keep your head up tomorrow is another day!

3 Likes

I know how you feel. I can’t even begin to count the days of work I’ve missed due to a hangover. I started a new job last month and already missed 1.5. If I miss anymore I could be fired. That was my wake-up call…I hope. I’ve been and known I’m alcoholic for about 6 years and this is by far the best resource I’ve found. And I’ve only been using it for a few days. Keep your head up!

1 Like

Welcome!!! @Eysa

You’re in luck because the benefits of not drinking are more money, better skin and not having to call in to work all the time. :smile: Congrats on day 1, keep coming and checking in!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone, so much! I pass an off licence in 2 train stations on my way home, I’d buy wine in both of them. First one has been resisted and I’m changing my train one stop early as to bypass the second one.

1 Like

Hey @Eysa,
Proud of you for staying away from the off licenses. A great victory! Keep coming here for support whenever you need it. It’s a huge help. I have alcoholic parents too. Not sure if you feel the same, but it’s frustrating for me to have become the very thing I strived not to be. But hey, never too late to rise above. Keep kicking ass!

1 Like

@Eysa good thinking and planning there. I had to google “off license” - we don’t call stores that in the USA. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Eysa one of the tricks I use to trick my subconscious by my conscious mind.

If I know alcohol is going to be there: store, bar, night club, party, home,etc.

I start telling myself, “Alcohol is poison, would you drink bleach?” I’ll say it like 10 times to myself. My roommates leave alcohol sitting out on the counter. I’ll look at and do my little internal quote.

It works for me

2 Likes

@Eysa You sound just like me. I’m on day 10 and for about 5 days after a giant bender I felt terrible. It gets better though believe me. This is a great place for support and tips as we’ve all been there in one way or another.

1 Like

In my case, my father quit drinking and smoking and now despises the stuff. He left mother when i was born and mum just kept on drinking. She tried AA on and off for ages. She still drinks… A few times a week actually. At parties if there is not enough alcohol she doesn’t talk to anyone, and just sits there grumpy or she starts to sneak alcohol from other people’s glasses.

Mum is 75 and her excuse is let her live her life as she won’t be around for much longer.

I feel like a hypocrite for worrying about her when here i am down the same path.

2 Likes

It’s a hard spot though and I know what you mean. I’ve felt the same but then Ive been on the other end too. She is trashed and preaching at me lol ugggg it’s just such a terrible cycle isn’t it?

On my 5th day and the cravings are driving me insane! Almost blew it, I actually waited in line with a bottle of wine and ran and put it back, and now my head is killing me and I’m trembling… :frowning:

I just want It to stop

1 Like

Im so proud of you for puttting it back. Thats amazing.

@Eysa. Hello there. The great news is you have the desire to quit. The fact that you put the wine back and left without buying it is huge. Trust me on this. The first 3 weeks to a month are the hardest. Stay focused on reaching goals for yourself. You don’t have to say, I’ll make it to a week or a month. Just focus on not drinking today.

1 Like

@Eysa, it’s an internal battle you vs. Booze brain. There’s 2 types of craving imo. Physical and mental. Physical I look at alcohol and my mouth waters. Mental I think of alcohol so I think I need it. Physical, I replace it with something healthy that I enjoy: go for a walk, chew gum, whatever help alleviate the mouth watering. Mental: “I tell myself it wants to drink, I don’t!” Normally that’s enough. Because you sound committed you don’t have a desire to drink. You need to let booze brain know it’s not in charge. So, job well done overpowering booze brain and putting it back.

1 Like

Hi there @Eysa. As time goes on, that loud and obnoxious mental addict voice will quiet down and the real you will be louder. Make a list of things you want to do and enjoy doing and start doing those things. Pamper yourself. Keep your belly full and your hands busy, get plenty of water and rest. Be extremely patient with yourself. Treat yourself like a good friend going through this…with compassion. You beat yourself up enough…it’s time to start caring for your spirit.

1 Like