Feeling the feelings

So here it is… I’m 37 years old and have not had a drink in almost 15 days. While, I should be proud of that I feel so sad and so low right now. These moods come and go, but I had set back at work last week, and I’m terrified that I’m going to be let go tomorrow, but I’m also more terrified that I’m not going to be let go, and my boss is going to make my life a living hell. It is actually really good job, and if I tough it out I could really go places, but I don’t know what is going to happen. So with that, and trying my hardest not to drown my feelings in booze, I’m in a really tough spot right now. I just feel so down. I have so many wonderful people and things in my life. I hate that alcohol is so important to me.

3 Likes

Live in today. Fear comes from living in the past or future and letting our heads run away with things that may not happen. All you have is right now. Take care of your needs…food, water, rest, and live to fight another day.

5 Likes

As the wisdom goes - if you think about your past too much then you’ll get depressed and if you fixate on the future then you’ll get anxious… Stay in the moment and enjoy now :slight_smile: are you sure you’re having work issues rather than anxiety disorder? I had a panick attack the other day whilst having a bath, i had work memories and doubted myself etc etc. I could sense i was a little irrational but thats the nature of the beast, i couldnt stop it!! . So i ran a sink full of very cold water and submerged my face in for 30 s. It slows heart rate by 50%.

3 Likes

Thank you for your words. I had a good cry, and am actually feeling a lot better. I needed the release. I am, though having a serious work issue. It is what it is. Hopefully whatever is meant to happen will. I have issues with anxiety and depression, and am considering going back on medication to control it. I haven’t been on anything in over a year, but I’m hoping if I can stay sober and take the meds, they will work better then they have in the past.

3 Likes

Im glad you feeling better now, sobriety is emotionally draining. When under influence I rarely cried, but now im tearing up everyday! Work problems suck thats for sure!! Do you do reflections about work? Would that help? . I got sacked from my second job few months ago, i did chain analysis of events to realise i only had partial blame and that company dismissed me unfairly. To begin with i blamed myself without looking at a bigger picture. X

Hi @Golfgirl Thanks for sharing your story so far. It’s ok to be proud and sad at the same time. In early recovery losing alcohol is like being in mourning. It takes time to replace it with healthy and positive things in your life. It may be that work is going to be difficult no matter what, but at least sober you can address the issues, if not this job another one. Alcohol never made work better - I know that from experience, and screwing up my last two jobs. Stay strong and get all the support/knowledge you can! :muscle:

1 Like

i relate to this so much! before sobriety i took pride in never being able to cry. so once i did get clean i felt at first that i was just being a big overemotional cry baby! however that is not the case. once you start to clear the haze you start feeling pure emotions again without the mask of substance. switching the perspective from numbing all emotions into feeling your raw emotions, good or bad, is a very freeing and beautiful change. today we get to feel it all but now we don’t have to do it alone. call a sober friend, hit a meeting, pray, meditate, read the big book, journal about it. you have so many tools given to you in sobriety to release fears and tensions to take the power out of them. stay up!!! all feelings pass and days go on, no matter what :slight_smile:

2 Likes