First day hurdle

I’m actually afraid to leave my flat because I want to drink and I know I’ll end up buying wine. I’m reading through people’s comments on other threads and they’re talking about being sober for so long.

How do you guys deal with cravings that seem almost overpowering? I’m worried I’m going to fall at a first day hurdle.

4 Likes

Hey @Lncy, welcome.

You’ve already made an important step by coming here. We have all felt the same. Take it one day at a time. Don’t be worried. You got this!

4 Likes

The first few weeks are the hardest. I literally took it minute by minute. Keep yourself safe. Have a lot of sweet stuff. I drank a lot of diet coke too. Sleep lots. Read. Write. Take a bath. Don’t go into a shop that sells booze on your own. It took me weeks to get over the overpowering urge to drink but it does pass. You have to dig deep. You got this. Stay strong x

5 Likes

Thanks guys… I really want to be sober and start living again…instead of drinking in my room by myself.

2 Likes

Agree with all of the above, I would add - try not to focus too much on how long others have been sober, that can be very daunting for you at this stage. It really is important to take it an hour or even a minute at a time in the beginning if you have to.

I can well imagine the little devil voice in your brain is screaming at you right now. But each time you don’t give in to it, it loses its power a little more each time.

Remember we have all been through those first days/weeks, and though we maybe a little further down the road than you…we are still all fighting the same fight together.

Be kind and patient with yourself and check in here as often as you need to!

Stay strong, stay sober :heart:
It will get easier with time :sunny:

6 Likes

This was one of many tools that helped me. It’s a short read, I think I’ve read 100 times.

https://www.google.com/amp/m.wikihow.com/Quit-Drinking-without-Alcoholics-Anonymous%3Famp=1

4 Likes

Welcome @Lncy! The first few days and weeks are the hardest. Your emotions are going to be all over the place and you may feel like you’ve lost all purpose, or there’s no joy in life anymore. It gets better so hang in there! During this crucial time it’s important to stay busy and I wouldn’t worry about anything else. Eat whatever - caffeine and sugar are your new best friends. Get a support group and have someone you can talk to that’s been through it already. Take care of yourself and vent away on here if you need to. We have all been there.

4 Likes

Welcome @Lncy Self-care is priority right now. Rest, rehydrate with water, eat nutritious meals and snacks, take vitamins, keep chocolate or candy on hand, take walks, read or work on a hobby. It’s okay to stay home safe at first. The fact that you’re fearful of getting drunk is a good thing.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. Great read. I’ve saved it on ny phone :blush:

Welcome @Lncy! Here are some tips and tricks that I used during early recovery! Stay strong! You can do this!

1 Like

Thanks @MissQuinn… I-actually came across this when I gor home from work this morning and was feeling a bit dodgy. Great advice in it, thanks.

1 Like

@Lncy the first 30 days I’ll eat anything everything to get past the urges. However, I’ll force myself out of the house/flat to do something physical or productive. Your sleep is probably hit or miss. Getting a 24/hr gym membership helped me a lot. Midnight can’t sleep let’s go to the gym and cycle 20 miles. Typically it’s just me and my thoughts at the gym. No anxiety, hardly any people. My anxiety at the 30 day mark goes to almost zero; except for public talking, doctors and beautiful women :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi @Lncy. Nothing new to add here to some great advice, but just wanted to say welcome and stay strong, and be forgiving to yourself.

1 Like