Haven't been tested yet

I have been sober for 19 days but I haven’t led a “normal” social life yet. Staying sheltered and avoiding parties/drinking etc. I want to test myself but afraid I’ll fail. Does this feeling ever go away? Or should I just dive in ?? Get back out there and listen to my inner will to stop and hopefully have the desire to make it happen.

2 Likes

Took me 6 weeks to even be able to just look in the direction of beer at the store. But it was easier the the first 2 weeks. If you are questioning whether or not you are strong enough, take the safe route and say no. There will be a time when you think you are definitely strong enough and that’s when to test it

1 Like

Thank you Oliverjava so much this really helps. It is so true, too. I find if I have to ask myself – then I am not ready. Missing a few friends at drunken christmas parties is the gift I give myself this year :slight_smile: Rock on friend!

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I was hoping to hear that the time will be “right” when it feels “right”. UGH – the holidays are a struggle. This support means so much! THanks again!

2 Likes

Holidays suck, I understand. Especially if you are single like me. Don’t let the lure of false fun from drinking beckon you. You are just destroying your body and borrowing time. Making it through the holidays will be hard, no doubt. It will be worth it. We got this!!! You’re not alone

2 Likes

There’s no reason to test yourself yet. You’re too early in recovery. After a while, when you really start feeling confident and strong, you can start ‘testing’ yourself. Even then, you shouldn’t dive in head first. Instead ease into it. Have dinner with a friend who might drink one glass of wine. Don’t go to a bar full of alcohol.

2 Likes

I too think its to early for you. Do something else instead .wait til you get used to your sobrierty first. Mean while be kind to your self . There is plenty of other things to do . For me it all starts within . Recovery is a lifetime . Times will Come when it tries to trigger me . I got to be aware .

1 Like

Right ON! Like many other things in life …I try to rush it. I am taking your advice and truly appreciate it. :slight_smile: