Hello First Post

Hello, I’ve had this app for awhile and enjoy reading your posts so I decided to make one! Today is another day 1 :pensive:. I’m getting ready to celebrate my 33rd birthday and have 2 small boys that I really want to get sober for, my husband and I binge drink a few times per week. The stress of my work along with family responsibility and being the bread winner of my family are factors for my drinking. I’m really ready to stop and get healthy, I want 33 to be the year of the new me! How long after you quit do you start noticing changes in your body and mind? What changes stood out? I think it will help me stay motivated if I know around when to expect what changes. Thank you for any information you can share on your experience.

3 Likes

Welcome @Trying2018 and I’m grateful you finally posted. The changes vary person to person…how long/how much you drank, the amount of effort you put into your sobriety, how you treat your body/mind/spirit on this journey. Personally, physical changes happened within the first month. Clarity and joy showed themselves in my eyes and my skin became much healthier…vitamins, hydration, quality rest and nutrition helped out immencely. The mental changes started around 2 months…I started to “grow up” and become accountable for my actions, I showed up to my life and followed through with my obligations, stopped making excuses and playing the victim, quit feeling sorry for myself, put the work in inward spiritually. Again, this varies person to person. But you must realize that sobriety is much more than abstaining from alcohol. There isn’t an end goal, it’s a lifestyle. It’s learning about yourself and how to fill the void with healing and being of service to others.

5 Likes

Hey!! This sounds eerily familiar. I also have little boys at home (6, 4, and 5 months) and I was also binge drinking at least once per week, and waking up the next morning feeling just dreadful. I didn’t start noticing much until about a week into sobriety. I was sleeping better, had way more energy, wasn’t as moody, actually started to notice the small things in life that made me smile, and I have noticed a change in my confidence level. 2 of my kids have special needs, and I was also working FT, and trying to finish a graduate degree with kids and a newborn- I was drinking to cope with my stress and anxiety. But I could never drink “normally”. I would have to drink until the alcohol was gone. Now I am motivated to eat healthier and work out, and am trying to find other ways to cope as well!! Thanks for sharing your story!! Feel free to message me if you want to chat :heart:

3 Likes
1 Like

I’m glad you want to stop! That is an awesome goal. Just remember one step at a time and one day at a time. I was sober for two years and in August I relapsed. But I am now 72 days sober again. I would say my body began feeling better within the first two weeks. My mind it took a little bit longer. Just remember that you can do this and you are never alone!

1 Like

This is a new app for me as well. So yours is the first I responded to.

2 Likes

Glad you are here!

1 Like