How do I get past the crippling guilt and shame of my actions?

I still hear stories of things I’ve said and done under the influence and I can’t help but feel terrible about myself. This pain is why I drink. Now that I’m sober, how am I supposed to handle my emotions? How do you deal?

5 Likes

I’ve been there, girl. And it has put me flat on the floor sobbing many, many times. It’s gonna suck. But not forever, that shame will slowly fade, and the memories (or what youve been told) will have no emotion attached to them at all. But fuck yeah. It HURTS and I feel for tou

2 Likes

This is all to familar to me. In 9 days sober. Since I am at the beginning of my journey, I have put this on the back burner. I can’t change the past, but I can change the now. Even though I have apologized, its not meaningful. I know at some point in my journey people will see that it is meaningful because actions speak louder than words.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I’m dealing with a lotta shame too. I’m trying to remember that it will get easier and to focus on moving forward and staying sober so it doesn’t ever happen again.

1 Like

I have tried to understand my feelings for many years, but when I first come across the subkect about codependency I could finally understand and get rid of the guilt. And even start to love myself again. It’s much esier to stay sober now, because I love myself. I don’t know any good book about codependency in English. It’s about meeting your inner child and heal the inner wounds from childhood. The root of addiction come from pain and the pain is often from some sort of abuse. When I realized I was additiced, not because I was weak, but because I’ve tried to get over the childhood traumas, I could heal and love my self, and choose a better way to live. Now I’m been sober from my addiction for 16 days and it has not been hard at all. I have fought for almost 30 years with my feelings and addiction.

2 Likes

Serenity prayer

1 Like