Humility 101

I have been thinking alot about humility this weekend. As an alcoholic I have had to say that alcohol had control over me. I am a person who is very much Type A. I had no control.of so many things during my childhood so this need for control has shaped my career as Sr. Project Manager amd has also had a negative effect on my relationships at time. So it was very difficult to say alcohol had control of me.

Humility to me is accepting that I have weaknesses. It helps me to find those areas in my life that I am weak and helps me.to reach out for help. It makes me human. It truly sets your ego in the right place. It also makes everything less stressful.

Humility comes along with gratitude. If we humble ourselves we see relationships become more authentic and blessings overflow when we recognize that while we continue to live a healthier life we are able to accept that we will have rough patches and can struggle and still be ok

Since I became sober 51 days ago I find that when I humble myself I can let others know that I have had a low day or that I am afraid when the world starts to press down. No longer am I the Super Hero. My therapist reminds me to be a little more tender with myself. Dont plan to do everything at 150%. Humble yourself and recognize it is ok to not be ok and when you ask for help it actually gives you more control.

5 Likes