Identify your triggers šŸ˜²

Thatā€™s a tough one @Oliverjava !
My momā€™s been sober over 30 years but i still remember how she was when she wasnā€™tā€¦not sure how i could or would deal with that.
Stay strongā€¦guess i would say leave as soon as you start feeling less then strong, try not to get into a conflict with her, that could lead to moments of weakness.

1 Like

@Rikk Thatā€™s really smart of you to not go if you know youā€™ll be tempted. Itā€™s like a kid at toys r us and not being able to buy the toy he wants. Itā€™s better not to go & be safe! Good job! @Oliverjava thatā€™s awesome that your being more self aware of yourself it will help you in your recovery. Having a plan is even better when your tempted. Flee away from the situation when possible! Good luck & stay strong! Blessings :gift_heart::gift_heart::gift_heart::point_up::point_up::point_up::heart_decoration::heart_decoration::heart_decoration::muscle::muscle::muscle::tulip::tulip::tulip::v::v::v:

2 Likes

I was just a lush, everything was a trigger. Sober feeling good? Letā€™s drink about it. Feeling bad? Drink more about it. Sunny, raining, starting a relationship, ending a relationship. Stressed, happy. My addicted body just used anything as an excuse to drink more. Before I quit smoking it was all the same kind of deal. Once I just told myself I had to stop I made it happen. but now itā€™s weird because when I get cravings itā€™s not like I want to drink, because I donā€™t. Itā€™s more like I have this empty feeling I canā€™t explain, like I should be doing something Iā€™m not doing. But Iā€™m teaching myself to push past it I donā€™t have the luxury of a choice

3 Likes

@Leigh
I totally understand that Empty feeling .
Lately Iā€™ve been noticing when i get full from eating i get a craving for somethingā€¦Iā€™ll smoke a cigarette and usually that takes care of it but these past few days Iā€™m still craving something more.

@Rikk ugh I know, itā€™s just weird. It goes away but sometimes it takes thirty minutes almost. I just canā€™t wait for the day I wake and done have to deal with that feel anymore. Although considering how long I was drinking for Iā€™m not getting my hopes up too high lol

1 Like

Mine too! I counteract the boredom with video games and movies. I have abysmally low self-esteem thoughā€¦

That was so strong of you @Rikk! Iā€™m proud of You! :blush:

1 Like

My parents are a major trigger for me. Their guilt trips cause me such anxiety that i have to be prescribed xanax just so i wonā€™t freak out and hurry myself

You know i had an additional thought on that, @Oliverjavaā€¦ You sound as though You May have toxic parents. There are some Great articles o.k. bustle.com about toxic parents and how to deal with themā€¦ If i can find the link Iā€™ll send it to You :slight_smile:

1 Like

I always feel emptyā€¦ Empty of passion, of love, of companionshipā€¦ But that probably had more to do with my borderline disorder

My ex (that I see everyday at work and still trys to act like weā€™re friends) has bpd and is one of my hugest triggers. She judges people for about stuff that she then goes and does herself. Her hypocrisy pissed me off to no end. Was having a great day then she comes over and tries to act all buddy buddy. Sorry Iā€™m fucking heated right now

1 Like

Just had to vent sorry yall

You stayed on topic, identified your triggers and shared it with us. No need to apologize :slight_smile:

Being in social settings is my biggest trigger. I feel like i need to drink to relax and be talkative or something.
Daily stresses get to me. Like to wind down with a drink but it usually becomes several drinks. I have so many triggers but these 2 are the main ones.

1 Like

Right there wit ya darby. I am super shy unless I have a few beers in me to let my guard down. It sucks cause I was a fun drunk to be around. What doesnā€™t suck though was when no one was around and I was still drinking, so donā€™t miss that depressive shit! Just keep it going guys!

Yeah, i actually did my best drinking alone. Bottom line, I just drank about all the time.

I am always seen as the life and soul of the party. The entertainer which puts pressure on me to be ā€œa good laughā€. The real me can feel awkward when put in the spotlight so drink makes me feel brave. Only trouble is now drink makes every emotion unreal. Iā€™ve just had verbal abuse thrown at me by my husband (whoā€™s had a tough day at work) and my automatic thought was to grab the whisky bottle. I counted to ten locked myself in the bathroom did some breathing and brushed my teeth (again). I feel better for avoiding itā€¦Iā€™m going to do this ! x

2 Likes

@Lush Thatā€™s great that you took some time to think it through & breathe! :clap::clap::clap: Oxygen to the brain is super helpful when in crisis! I learned some breathing techniques in yoga to help calm my thoughts & lower my heart beat! Stay strong, you can do it! :muscle::muscle::muscle: Blessings! :smile::smile::smile::purple_heart::ok_hand::ok_hand::v::v:

1 Like

My biggest trigger is stress but I am learning to chanel that into exercise. Anxiety can be a bit of an issue but I am learning about mindfulness. As my determination grows stronger, I am sure it will be easier to handle. I hope you are all doing well!!! Shine shine :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

I had one of those drunk dreams. It was so vivid of me drinking two bottles of wine at.the same time. Ironically I woke up with a headache and thought oh crap! But it was only a dream. It didnt become a trigger but I was in a funk that morning.

1 Like