Intro, day one...again

Removed for personal info content. Thank you to all for thoughtful responses. Am safer as a voyeur before I jump in the pond. A phrase around my home is “Don’t talk about, be about it.” Not my phrase, but trying to embrace it. Very slippery slopes with everyone and environment trigger laden we treck.

2 Likes

I’ve been sober for over a month and a half now. What helps me to stay sober is staying away from environments or situations where there is alcohol involved because that’s just setting me up for failure. I also think of my brain injury and how negatively that’ll affect my recovery. I focus on finding hobbies that make me happy as well as meditation. Maybe worth a try? It worked for me, maybe it can help you?

2 Likes

Thank you, I am so impatient and have every excuse to not sit right down in the middle of myself and meditate. I used to say running was free therapy, and i really do need to get back. I need to get out od my bed in the morning and put my sneakers on. Will be a lot easier when i don’t have a raging hangover. Have gotten some miles under my belt the past month on the treadmill, but am a long way from running even one mile without walking. Has really helped me tonread people’s honest postings on here, but does really highlight how stigmatized and lonely a lot of this feels. Alcohol is everywhere!

1 Like

Hi @KateLynne and welcome to the forum. :wave: Thanks for sharing your personal story. Note this forum is also available outside the app from talkingsober.com. You definitely are in the right place! Did you say stopping should be easy! :joy: It may be one of the most difficult challenges to ever face.

Not sure if you have tried sobriety before, but if you have committed to stopping, it is the most important decision of your life. :rainbow: Start with all the support you can get - this forum, AA or other meetings, an outpatient/inpatient program, reading and videos. There is so much out there! But it has to come from within you - it will not be easy.

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

2 Likes

Hi there and welcome. I’m on day 52 now. The first week was just a week. I’d done that before, but day 10 then 20 came. 1 month was huge. I use the app. My notifications are set so I get my next day count first thing in the morning. Find a new thing to do or get back to an old thing ( running) even if you have to walk some of it all of those steps are positive. Focus on the good

2 Likes

I’ve been sober 86 days. I was a blackout binge drinker. The reason you drink and can’t stop? You’re an alcoholic. That’s what we do. (until we seek help). It can be done…one day at a time.

1 Like

Hi there! Like you, I’ve been saying for years that I was sick and tired if being sick and tired. I was able to stay sober for 2 weeks when I was starting my new job. Then I had a huge relapse…back to drinking every day, getting drunk every day. 3 weeks ago I struggled with withdrawals for 2 days. It got so bad that I had my fiancé take me to the ER. I missed two days of work at my brand new job. I still feel like an idiot for that. But, I have been sober for 22 days. It really is one day at a time. Before you know it, you’ll be at a week and then 2, etc. I’m looking forward to 30 days so I hope I make it. It’s hard. But things like this forum help. I like to use different tools to help me stay sober. I read sober/recovery blogs, books, and online AA. Whenever you feel down or have a craving remember the bad times and how much you never want to be in that place again. You can do it! :grinning:

2 Likes