Introduce Yourself

Hi, my name is shlomi. I am 33 from Germany. I am addicted to alcohol for the past 15 years, started when I was 15. As I grew older I came in contact with chemicals and abused it all in a mix. I nearly got the chemicals out of my life but failed once a year. Tried aa and failed. It all started when my first girlfriend committed suicide, I felt like it was my fault and the only way of not thinking about it was drinking. The years got by and drinking beer and shots became a daily routine. I am now starting again trying to get sober, I have to, to safe my actual relationship I am having for 8years and my life. It’s day one and I hope I will get through the evening after work. Will read here and hope to get threw this together with you guys. I hope my English is not that weird :wink:

4 Likes

I’m Nick, 31 from Manchester, UK.

In and out of AA since I was 25 and finally thought I had nailed my sobriety only to spend the last weekend surrounded by empty vodka bottles and the blinds firmly closed.

Finally found this place after trawling high and low for new ideas to help me finally give up for good.

I’ve lost a hell of a lot due to my own stupidity whilst drinking including the absolute love of my life who left with our daughter 2 years ago. I managed to clean myself up and I now have shared custody of my little girl but this recent relapse has scared the shit out of me and I’m worried if I don’t firmly get a grip of this I’m going to lose my daughter, my business and my house.

Getting back to the end of day 1 this time has been hell. Never had the shakes, sweats and irritability like it before literally thought I was having a heart attack this morning.

Anyway that’s me. Back on the wagon. Day 1 done. Wish I had found this place before picking that first drink up on Saturday :frowning:

3 Likes

Hi @Ralleshlomi - your english seems clear to me! ,and @nick_1985! and welcome. Spend some time just reading around the forum. You will see that we all have far more in common than we thought. You can do this, there can be setbacks but sometimes it’s part of the learning process. Stay strong!

1 Like

@JohnSee thanks a lot, I try my best to find the right words. And thank you for welcoming me. I read a little bit threw the day, and at the moment I am glad to have found this app.

Thanks @JohnSee spent most the day looking around to be fair :slight_smile: amazing place this is.

@nick_1985 and @Ralleshlomi feel free to look around…there’s tons of posts that might interest you. Here’s a link to get you started…

1 Like

Hey @Moss - I found problems sleeping and with focus WHEN I drink! I had a few weeks of no drinking (due to trying for a baby) but then would easily drink a bottle a night when I knew I wasn’t pregnant. On the few weeks of not drinking at all, it was like I worked at 100% - the rest of the time with all the wine in the world I was functioning Ok but more like %60. I didn’t realise how better it would feel to not drink. It’s hard to give up - I’m struggling to finally do it too, and it’s good you are here to share your story and read others. It’s really helping me I hope it does with you too!

Hey everyone. I am new to this whole thing. I’m 28 and an alcoholic. I binge drink almost every night before bed (never during working hours), sometimes take a few days, weeks, or even months off, then start back into the same cycle. I’m tired of being controlled by it. I get the craving and I can’t resist. It makes me feel awful, makes my anxiety and depression so much worse the next day. But it’s a quick relief. I am working with a hypnotherapist. Last night was my last straw. I need all of the support I can get right now.

Thanks,

M.

3 Likes

Proud of you for admitting it and taking the right step. This is a great place with lots of support and good information. :sunflower:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. It’s pretty embarrassing to me still.

@Needhelp1128 you’re just reminding us of where we all were when we started out. Thank you for that, and welcome!!

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Well your story sounds similar to mine (and many people’s). Nothing to be embarrassed by. Do you know how strong you are for taking steps forward? Feel proud, not ashamed.

2 Likes

Welcome M! I hope you enjoy browsing through posts, i helped me to better understand my addiction thats for sure. I haven’t told anyone about my issues as im sort of embarrassed, although i am better off without the possible gossip and pity looks.

2 Likes

@Suzanne thanks. The people on here are all amazing from the 100 dayers to the 1 dayers, if you even only on here to read and not comment your awesome too. Just downloading this ap alone shows you have a sense of self preservation. The sleep thing has been difficult and to combat this I’ve joined the gym and some days even go before work. The gym seems to have something in common with drinking regarding my addictive personality. Keep up the good work people :wink:

2 Likes

Hey everyone I’m Todd an I’ve successfully screwed up once again.i had 3 years sober screwed that up last . Then I had 7 weeks screwed that up now it seems I can’t make past a week although I desperately want to.i figured it’s time to start talking to other people that has been in similar situations

1 Like

Try not to be ‘fault focused’ @Tod609 it takes inner strength to keep trying and you clearly have plenty of that :+1:

Hello all! Name’s Brian. Decided to start fighting the good fight for myself, family, and friends. Um… A little about myself with drinking. As much as I enjoy being the life of the party I wake up feeling like an embarrassment lots of times, from getting black out drunk, and not having control of being stupid and saying things I feel horrible about. I’ve been doing lots of it for about 9 years and it has taken its toll. Made bad choices and am ready to stop doing that. 4.5 days in so far and hoping to continue strong. Good job to everyone else fighting their battles.

7 Likes

Welcome @BeardedBrian to this wonderful forum of people walking the same journey

1 Like

Hi @BeardedBrian and welcome. (like the beard btw!) Spend some time poking around the forum or using the search function, almost every topic has been discussed at some point! See you around.

1 Like