Introduce Yourself

Hello everyone my name is Melissa. I am 29 years old. Even though alcoholism runs in my family I never thought I “fit into” the category of what it is to be an alcoholic because I’m not dependent on it or need it to function everyday. I live a healthy lifestyle during the week with eating well, going to the gym and not drinking. However, my problem is once I go out and have one drink, I can’t stop. Pretty much every time I drink I blackout and make horrible decisions. After blacking out last night and having my boyfriend and brother frantically trying to locate where I was and thinking the worst, I can truly say I have a major problem with alcohol. Long story short my experience last night made me realize there is not a checklist or a certain box someone has to check to be an alcoholic. I need help and the only thing that will help me is if I avoid alcohol completely. It’s a poison that I want to eliminate from my life. So I am on here today to become the best person I can be and take a different approach by leaning on people who are positive and supportive. Reading through these posts makes me feel so much better knowing I am not fighting this battle alone.

7 Likes

Welcome @Mel22! and thanks for sharing your story. Here is a helpful thread on early sobriety:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

al·co·hol·ism
ˈalkəhôˌlizəm/
noun
an addiction to the consumption of alcoholic liquor or the mental illness and compulsive behavior resulting from alcohol dependency.

There is no face to this. It goes beyond what we think an alcoholic looks and acts like. We are men and women from all ages, ethnicities, and income classes.

4 Likes

Thank you @JohnSee this is very helpful!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi this is my first post . I have been down loading different apps looking for a way to connect with individuals looking to maintain sobriety. I would classify myself as a binge drinker the last 18 months who had landed emotionally in the bottom of a red wine bottle. When I binge I have no stopping point and I like calling up my family and friends. Because I normally would black out I have no memory of who I call or what was said . My last binge was on Tuesday March 14th and I was hyper focused on getting a wheel chair for a friend in the middle of the night which started a drunk dial hi wrong. I was so hung over on Wednesday I had to call off work with a bogus excuse to a job I started 3 weeks ago. A planned Relocation to Charlotte with my retired husband leaving a job of 30 years and community I lived in all my life has left me depressed beyond my personal comprehension. The binging started due to excessive time on my hands with no real interest or hobbies because I lived to work not worked to live. I want my life back . I want to find joy outside of a wine bottle . I love the community we moved into however it is a community that loves to drink . I have made my core group of friends aware of my drinking situations which makes me feel relieved but also makes me think how am I going to continue to abstain . So I’m here looking for support and insight

4 Likes

Welcome @AUGDON12 “One day at a time” and tomorrow the same thing. We’re not promised forever. Here’s a bunch of links for different articles as it pertains to recovery and sobriety. Start by educating yourself and look for things that might interest you and help you further on your new journey. You’ve come to the right place…Plenty of experience in addiction, alcoholism AND sobriety.

Thank you for the links . I have started therapy and exploring the program Smart Recovery which is cognitive therapy based. I grew up with AA at my kitchen table morning noon and night . It became my Fathers church which kept him sober but kept from being a real father to his 6 kids

1 Like

Find what works for YOU. Recovery is personal and best designed to fit YOUR sobriety.

I am grateful I downloaded this app . Not to sure how it all works but will muddle through

3 Likes

Hi @AUGDON12 and welcome. This is the best App and online support forum I ever found. Remember the forum is also available directly on the web via http://talkingsober.com.

Thanks John I didn’t know that

Hi im dave and im a addict from the uk … ive been clean off heroin for 33 days but im still on a methadone reduction im down to 25ml at moment so im not really clean but im happy to not be using heroin … ive been trying to stop a very long time but recently found na and its been a massive help … im glad i stumbled across this app it sounds like this could help too … good luck everyone … we can do this !

3 Likes

Welcome @Dave_Mccall and congrats on 33 days! Note that this forum is also available outside the app form any device using talkingsober.com.

Hello @Dave_Mccall and @AUGDON12 :sunny:

Hi,
My name is Jess. I live in Phenix City, AL with my husband & 3 kids. I come from a long line of heavy alcoholics, & I am the family tradition’s latest victim. I have now been an alcoholic now for 12 years. I have lost friends, respect, and even health because of my addiction. My drunken decisions have caused a certain level of self-loathing that I can’t seem to shake. Since November I have sworn off liquor, but I still overindulge in beer & wine NIGHTLY. My 3 year old says, “Beer is Mommy’s favorite.” That breaks my heart because I want the family curse to end with me. I know that my husband deserves so much better than a wife that picks 3am drunken fights with him. I get over emotional when I drink & the slightest thing sets me off. I have put my poor husband through so much, and he has given me nothing but love & patience in return. I want to be someone that deserves him. I want to quit drinking to be a better mother, wife, friend, and self.

2 Likes

Hi @Jessina_Anderson and welcome! :wave: You can end the “family curse”. It really is possible. If you are not familiar with recovery yet, spend some time reading around the forum. Also very good educational resources are found here:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

2 Likes

@Mel22. I too, don’t have an “off” button. It’s all or nothing for people like us. Hang in there!

1 Like

I downloaded this app to get the timer and later discovered the forums. And have found myself trying to give advice based on my own experience as that’s all I have. I got sober after nearly drinking myself to death and with alot of hard work, a stint in rehab and a year of aa meetings which have saved my life I’m still sober. I hope people on here find the right path for them, staying sober isn’t an easy thing to do but it’s not impossible. Get all the help you can get peeps, talk to people in real life, go to meetings, see your doctor if you need to, be honest, and don’t look back, take each day as it comes and don’t sweat the small stuff. Peace out.

18 Likes

I downloaded the app for the timer. I’m having a very difficult time lately, and figured the timer is a good way to remind myself how far I have come. Coming into the app and seeing the forums was such a pleasant surprise. I’m still struggling, still battling demons, but I don’t feel so alone surrounded by people that actually understand, even if it’s just the internet.

6 Likes

@BendDontBreak welcome u are not alone for sure :slight_smile: we are a cool bunch of great People

1 Like