Introduce Yourself

Hi everyone!

I’m Liana and I have begun my journey of a sober life seven days ago.

I have been struggling with alcoholism for three years now and it is slowly destroying my life from the inside out. Alcoholism runs deep in my family, so picking up the bottle just seemed almost too natural.

I am looking forward to rediscovering life and finding myself again along the way. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yeah. It’s sad but true. Do so good for a while, then out of nowhere it’s gone. It’s so hard to stop myself after i start.

Have you tried AA meetings yet? I keep pushing it off, but I believe I truly need the support of others. Stay strong

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Karen. I am 45 and have drank since I was 16. Started out drinking to “fit in” and “have fun”. It ended up with sitting at home alone with more than a bottle or two. It is no longer " fun". Anyway I’ve been questioning my drinking for quite a while now and have tried detoxing on several occasions but always with the intention of “having a break”. Each time I think I will be able to drink " normally" again but this is not the case. I have therefore decided to give up my toxic friend and get back to a blur free life.

1 Like

@marty, @Soaring_Spirit - I’m a firm believer in AA; but I can appreciate how others can think it’s not for them. In fact, that’s how I felt in 2006 when I was taken to my first AA meeting. Looking back, I just wasn’t ready for it; I hadn’t suffered from the effects of my drinking enough.
Six years later, I find myself in rehab and going to AA meetings as part of the treatment. I now do a minimum of 3 AA meetings a week, have a fantastic support network and some of the best friends I have ever made.
Therefore I would suggest giving it a go; be open minded and honest and you never know, it might just work for you.
:pray:

1 Like

I appreciate the helpful push hm,I consider talking in this forum my 1st step towards attending AA meetings. I’ve tried taking Antabuse which helps,but I’ve never taken it regularly on always end up back in the same situation.

1 Like

I have not.
I am a pretty stubborn and independent person, so I am always trying to accomplish things on my own. I feel more in control and empowered that way.
I am also a teacher, so I would be concerned that being more public about my personal struggles may hinder my professional career - if that makes sense.

1 Like

I don’t know if I am ready for that type of setting. I think my guard would be so high that I would not benefit from it.
I am very much into fitness, so working out is my outlet that I need.

2 Likes

I’ll just throw this out there about AA and people wanting to do sobriety on their own.
Did it work before?
Alcoholism creates solitude, even in a room of drunks…we’re alone.
So did it work before?
Why is it as alcoholics we have no problem drinking infront of other people, bars, nite club’s, parties, friends houses…but yet when it comes to getting sober we don’t want people to know. we are afraid of doing it infront of others.
Truth be known…either way we’re still in a room with a bunch of drunks…in AA those drunks are just sober.
Just my two cents :grinning:

4 Likes

This is all very true, I think of it a little differently.

I don’t want to feel like I need a room of people supporting my sobriety to give me the courage to kick my addiction. I would be scared that once finished attending the meetings, I would slip right back.

I have never been to a meeting, so I know I shouldn’t assume the worst, but I associate inner strength with overcoming obstacles alone.

(I know I’m being negative about the whole thing, so I do apologize, I am probably just scared to be put in a vulnerable position in front of a bunch of strangers)

1 Like

Fair enough @Soaring_Spirit… our journies to sobriety are different; mine just happens to include AA. I’m grateful for the life it has enabled me to have, especially as I was at the point whereby I was about to lose everything.
Good luck to you… AA will always be there if ever you think you have nowhere else to turn.

2 Likes

@Rikk - Don’t know which AA meetings you’ve been to but most (90%) of the folks I come across in AA have a programme for living and I totally disagree with your comment: “in AA those drunks are just sober”

Yes… there are some ill people, dry drunks, people with mental issues which either caused or have been brought about by their drinking… but I have some amazing friends in AA now. And they help me deal with the shite life throws at me. Support me when times are tough. And I am able to do the same for them.

Appendix II of the Bog Book of Alcoholics Anonymous includes a quote: “Contempt prior to investigation” - that’s where I was in 2006 when I tried AA and thought it would never work for me. Six years later, I’m on my knees, in rehab and nowhere else to turn. AA was all I had and it has since given me a life, and a quality of life I could never have imagined.

Your “two cents” (as you’ve called it) could prevent someone who might be in need of AA from giving it a try. All I know that it has worked for me, and worked for countless thousands of others. Spreading such negativity amongst folks struggling with sobriety is pretty irresponsible.

You will note I am not telling people to got to AA… I am suggesting that they try it. Let folks make their own mind up.

Just my tuppence-worth!

@Andy_15052012
What negativity???
Not even going to argue with you.
I don’t agree with a lot of what u see i post but i don’t put it here…do i?
Fine…you know best…I’ll keep my opinions and advice to myself.
Peace.

4 Likes

I know what you meant man I think he misunderstood your post. You were encouraging trying AA saying that people aren’t embarrassed to drink all over town in bars with some (drunks) but they suddenly get shy when sitting in a room of (group of drunks…(G.O.D)…recovering addicts) and embarrassed trying to do something about their problem.
I got you 100% and I agree

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. We all want the same end point: happy, health, sober :slight_smile:

Hi I’m officially 1day sober. I woke up last night in jail. It was the most humiliating experience of my life. I knew my drinking was getting out of hand but this was a huge wake up call. Not sure what I want to do about recovery, I just know I don’t want to use. I’ve had bad experiences with aa in past but was not an alocholic at time (didn’t drink at all) need some advice.

2 Likes

How are you today @Panda?

1 Like

Hello. My name is Kendall, I’m 28, and I live in Texas. I’ve struggled with alcohol since I was about 18. I’ve overcome prescription drug abuse, but I can’t manage to get away from the alcohol. I’m hopeful that this may be my light at the end of the tunnel.

3 Likes

Hi,
I’m a 55yr old male from UK and having another go at quitting alcohol. I drink most days and binge at weekends. Sick of losing out on life. Packed in for a couple of years when I hit my rock bottom but thought I could become a social drinker, I can’t. I get so down after a session but soon forget and I’m back on the booze. This time I’m determined to move on, so much in life to look forward to.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this outlet. I’ve been sober for a little over a month now.
My background was mostly built on insecurity and inability to be vulnerable. I continue to struggle with this but I’m glad I’m dealing with it sober. I have a pending charge and court is Sept 14. Please keep me in your prayers:)
Thanks, Jordan

1 Like