Introduce Yourself

Hi, I’m Stacie, I’m 39 in Colorado. I am an alcoholic and I hate typing that because it sucks and I wish I wasn’t but it is what it is. As much as I try to convince myself I am not or develop strategies to limit my drinking I just can’t. I was completely sober from 2008-2015, fell off the wagon in April of 2015. The first year I actually had fun with drinking and felt like it was more “normal” but quickly have fallen into the pit and haven’t been able to dig myself out. My problem is binge drinking a few nights a week and feeling like shit all the other days. I am horrible at self-sabotage and not taking care of myself and smart enough to see that this is a very bad path, I have a 4 year old, she deserves better and so do I. I’m 6 days sober today and hoping that I can continue to make positive choices. For whatever reason it was so much easier and definitive the last time I stopped drinking. I don’t know why it’s so hard right now.

4 Likes

Welcome @Stac. Sorry to hear you’ve been struggling. You’re not alone anymore. We’re all here for you!

I hope you’re having a great Sunday :smile:

2 Likes

Im in the same boat as you, don’t stress, today’s day 14 for me, thank God for methadone or else I dunno where I’d be…

Hi. I’m Ash 33 female from the UK and I am on day 1 of what’s going to be a long journey. I have abused alcohol for 7 years. I’ve tried to go sober previously and the best I’ve managed was 4 days. This time I’ve made the decision that I want to be sober. No getting to Friday and rewarding myself. I’ve spent most of today reading the posts via the App. I know I can do this for me and the people I love.

5 Likes

You REALLY can do it Ash. I still keep pinching myself because I never thought I really could. I was hoping a week at most. That’s the important thing about one day at a time. Today’s 80 for me. It’ll be great to see you post 80 and yes, I will say I told you so!

4 Likes

Hiya Ed, how did the cruise go?

Welcome @Libertineash I’m from the UK also :slight_smile:

Haha well done you.

1 Like

Fun. Stayed sober.

Hello! My name is Ingrid and I am a 38 year old happily married mother of 3. I have been drinking 1-2 bottles of wine daily for 20 years. This year I promised myself I would finally quit alcohol. My children often remind me of things I have committed to but I never remember. Too many times I have drove after a bottle. Too many times I’ve humiliated myself and most mornings feel shame and regret along with not remembering most of the evening before. My husband is a non drinker and wonderful support. But everyone knows me as a wino! I want to be healthy and emotionally available for myself and my sweet family. Last night I finally was able to see the truth that I am an alcoholic and cried in my husbands arms. I will break free from being a slave to my addiction. It is only day 1. But I am committed to my new life as a non drinker. I have said good bye to my bff- red wine. Thank you for listening new friends!

11 Likes

Hi @IngridK and welcome! :smile:
You have found the best place to be. We are all fighting this good fight together. You’ll find great advice and support here :purple_heart:

I will disagree with you on one thing you said - it is not ’only day 1’
Today is day 1 of many more to come, in your journey to a better you :star:
It really is one day at a time and today is the first day you prove to yourself that you CAN do this.

Stay strong, stay positive.

And know we are all here for you :purple_heart: :heart:

5 Likes

Hi Zara! Thank you for your kind words! Lol…ok…today is Day 1 of many more beautiful days to come. You have made me smile :smiley:. This is the first time I have ever joined a forum of any sort. I’m not even on Facebook! But decided I need support so its time to be vulnerable. Thank you again.

4 Likes

After 20 years, day one’s a huge step Ingrid!
And I’m not saying it gets easier quickly, but the first few days are the toughest for many of us, and you’ve already one down!

1 Like

Thank you Charlesfreck! I was pretty shaky this afternoon at work but felt better after eating. I feel like I’m in mourning! Lol. But I have always tried to tackle my alcoholism alone, in secret. Only to fail by dinner time each day. I think my car has GPS which stops at the wine mart everyday! But now I realize we all need support.

1 Like

This forum’s great - you’ll find a lot of support and very genuine, helpful, funny, lovely characters on here. And although the first few days and weeks seem to last forever (sorry, got to be honest!) by the time you hit 30 and 60 you’ll be amazed at how the poison doesn’t have that grip on you or your gps anymore!

Hey. Im 32. From Canada. Not sure what to say. Since 19 I chose vodka to self medicate depression and anxiety. Really only loved drinking alone, or in secret in social situations. It’s been nothing but trouble and embarrassment for me, but dealing with those feelings was obviously too hard and drinking so much easier ha ha. Was in a 10 year relationship with an angel that gave me too many chances to count, drove me to work when I lost my licence, offered support, begged me to change, but I chose alcohol over her and lost my best friend. This pain is new and deep, but I’ve been pouring vodka over my sadness for far too long, and its time to man up and focus on getting stable.

3 Likes

Hi my name is Carol, I am an alcoholic. Firstly, thank you for adding me to the group. I have been sober 7 years, 11 months and 13 days. I had not been to a meeting in over 10 years til this past monday. I was talking to a a lady that is trying to get sober. When she knew I had that long she asked me, “how did I stay sober over 7years.” I actually was stopped dead in my tracks with out a real answer. I realized that I had not done it the way I was taught in AA. I think the only real reason was, I have a real connection to my higher power. I am always helping someone. Not in a recovery program, but the homeless, animal rescue, foster care advocate. I have been real anxious for a while. In the past 3 years, I lost my mother, my husband lost his life to the disease of alcoholism and I had part of my foot amputated. After my foot was amputated, I asked the doctor not to give me any narcotics after surgery. I did not have any then nor did I go home with any. I had complications with my incision and it didnt stay closed. I was not allowed to step down on my foot for 8 months. I became a recluse. I couldn’t go anywhere without a panic attack. Through lots of therapy I am able to finally go places. I have had so much anxiety, I have been a wreck. I am emotional, mean, happy, angry ect. I have been having alcohol dreams and I have come to realize its time to get back to the meeting, sponsor, steps and service if I want to keep staying sober one day at a time. I have been to 1 meeting which made me feel so much relief I felt like I was lighter after going and sharing in a meeting. I need to be there to give back what was so freely given to me. I need to hear the new comers and help them by showing up. I am glad to be sober still and back where I belong. I hope that I am welcome here, because I desperately want to be. Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi @gigglezmom1 welcome to the forum! You are definitely welcome. You will find a lot of nonjudgemental, supportive people here. I’ve been to aa meetings that have completely changed my mood and made me feel lighter like you describe. So great when that happens. It sounds like you found a good meeting to go to.

1 Like

Hi im victoria! 26 days sober today! I downloaded this app laat night and have pretty much been glued to it…im also working a program i attend every week…this is another attempt at getting sober and i get stronger every time…alcohol and cocaine is my doc… Alcohol is my gateway to it all… So glad i found this site! Thanks for the support!

3 Likes

Hi,
I am Niko, and I am addicted to Tramadol, I took it first 3 years ago, I take citalopram since 4 years, because I have depressions and then when I lived for a short while at my grandma I saw Tramadol in the Kitchen and wanted to try it. I googled it first and then I tried it (I knew that tramadol triggers The citalopram, double serotonine guaranteed :smiley:) and I felt good. 2 years ago I took nothing for 9 months, then I took it again, but only 400-500mg daily (before I took 700-1000mg daily). Since January 2017 I am at 300-400mg daily, since two weeks at 200-350 and now I am at 150mg. I have the last pills for few days then I Start day Zero.
Between I take a bit Tilidin but always a bit less.

AND I want to be free from Energy drinks, 2 days free now I am tired and burnt out like hell…

And sorry for my bad English I am German and had an E in school

2 Likes