Is Alcoholism A Disease or..?

So I had a new thought this morning… I’ve always heard Alcoholism is a disease and to be completely honest that never really sat well with me. It just doesn’t make sense to me or maybe I need it explained in a different way. Could it be a bad side effect of a larger problem? For example, I know I’ve had anxiety problems for as long as I can remember, even before I started experimenting with alcohol. I also know I have depression issues but really can’t pin point when that started. I know my drinking is a way for me to self medicate (even though it makes things worse. I guess to hide it or numb the other issues). So can alcoholism really be a disease if it wasn’t the main problem to begin with? Any thoughts?

2 Likes

When I heard alcoholism is a disease, my first thought was: well that’s easy. It sounds like something happened to you and it’s easier to let the guilt/ responsibility go.
I used it the same way: self medicating. There are some other underlying problems I just never really wanted to face and alcohol would do the trick for me untill it got out of hand. Alcohol seemed an easy way to control any emotion (even though it didn’t).
It’s just time now to face or give other problems a place, move on and LIVE (for myself and for others). In order to make that happen I need to let alcohol go, it’s all about willpower, I don’t believe it’s a disease.

2 Likes

That pretty much sums up how it was for me too. But hey, I’m proud of us we know better now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I feel calling it a disease is to easy. A disease is something a person can’t help. Deep down I always knew I shouldn’t drink as much as I did and knew I could quit, I just needed a lot of self will and strength. Calling it a disease minimizes the actions and mistakes I made while using. Also morally I feel it’s wrong for me to drink so the whole feeling of guilt comes into factor. A person wouldn’t feel guilt for having disease. Calling it a disease takes away of owning up to our choices and actions. I think in a way it makes it an excuse to continue to drink “cause we can’t help it” right? Agreed, it’s a side effect or symptom of a larger problem that we can overcome and change how we cope with the bigger issue. :grinning: I mean no disrespect to anyone who feels different, just my opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the easy explanation is that it’s a disease but I’ve come to the conclusion that it is a genetic flaw people are born with. A disease implies that you can be cured, or that you caught alcoholism from someone. I was born with anxiety, depression, and an addictive personality. Alcohol simply reveals the flaw and accentuates it.

1 Like

Good point thanks :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if we are born with the mental issues that later develop or if our environment causes us to develop these things. I think maybe it’s a combination? All these ideas want me to do research. Thank you guys :grinning:

1 Like

I grew up in a very positive, supportive, Christian household. My biological father was an alcoholic so my mom says, i only met him once, about 2 weeks before he died. I’ve thought about the Environmental aspects and never once thought my upbringing contributed to my alcoholism, which I why I guess I feel I was born with it. I was never comfortable in my own skin, regardless of my surroundings.

2 Likes

I would create isolation by creating conflicts in my marriage to justify drinking. Good old fashioned work stress was my go to excuse. The daily drinking became easy using the work stress excuse, and I didn’t get hassled much. My wife has seen the bad side many times so even 2 drinks can get one of those nights started, which is why she despised me having even one. I would avoid drinking around family for the most part but I’d say everyone I know already knows I have an addiction. You can’t hide it.

1 Like

Yeah I dont like the label of being an addict. Its more than that. Most of us are just people who let a recreational thing slowly turn into a bad habit and slowly cut off our ties to normal ways. Its reallt just a matter of stopping our bad habit and replacing it with a good one.

1 Like

While it sounds cheesy, if you read the AA Big Book, it talks about it being more of an allergy. A real alcoholic can not stop drinking once they start. They can be the most put together individual you’ve ever met when they are sober, but once they pick up one drink, that person is gone and is replaced with someone else completely. I know that for me, I can control if I drink or not, but once I have that first drink, there is no control left in my body. So to an effect, it is a disease of the mind. To compare it diseases like cancer is a rationalization thought, that many alcoholics use to continue drinking, thinking they can get over it on their own. Good luck, you will relapse again. But it is a disease as it is with us for life. There is no moderation for us. 1 drink is too many and 1000 is never enough. We can stop for 5 years, pick up that first drink, and be drinking like we never missed a day. Which is why it is deadly for us, and makes it a disease.

3 Likes

And if you think AA is all about religious nuts, you’re wrong. I’m an athiest and I thoroughly enjoy AA and NA meetings. Yes, there is a spiritual aspect to it, but for me, my Higher Power is my family that cares for me and that supports me, that I never want to let down again. So if you’re not sure if it’s a disease, a disorder, or a choice, but you know that alcohol has become a problem, give those meetings a chance. They really do help and are an eye opener into your true self.

2 Likes

I do love AA :heart::heart: and you guys thank you for that

1 Like

I’ve heard many good things about AA and not against trying it. I believe there isn’t just one road to recovery though. There have been many people who have tried other ways to get sober without AA and have successfully done so. I think it just depends on the person and what they believe. Also I feel positive encouragement for others choice is helpful. No matter what road to recovery someone chooses whether we agree with their beliefs or not should never be told they will fail. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not saying there is only one way. Nor did I say if they go a different route that they will fail. What I did say was that rationalized thinking (oh I can do one drink, or if I do it on a full stomach it won’t hurt, or I can do it all on my own because it’s not cancer) is one of the steps to relapsing, which no one wants for anyone. That is a truly slippery slope. I’m just saying that sharing experiences and hearing others really does help most people, and while there are other programs, like Free Thinkers, We Athiests, and Smart Recovery, they all utilize the same basic principles of fellowship and communication between alcoholics. Why? Because no one knows an alcoholic like an alcoholic. And no one can truly speak to the effects, conditions and paths to recovery like a recovered alcoholic. But all alcoholics, who have recovered, even those who have suffered a relapse, all agree that this disease is with us for life.

2 Likes

I do agree that as an alcoholic I will be one for life. Thanks for sharing and you made some good points. :slight_smile:

I personally think it will just be safe for me to call myself an alcoholic to remind myself I shouldn’t drink. I still don’t think I have a disease. I just think i will have a life long problem with booze and need to stay away. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s only been a week for me so I have no idea how I will feel later on. Maybe I won’t have to call myself an alcoholic? I do know a couple that were really heavy drinkers (he was even very abusive) and quit for years and they can now have an occasional drink. I’m still to scared to even imagine that for myself though. That’s another reason I don’t think it’s a disease. So I think everyone is different all’s I hope is we all find what works for us and we all get healthy :slight_smile:

1 Like

One time alcoholic always alcoholic… No such thing as in between . Recovered yeah … but to say No more alcoholic is a way to ignore the facts … you never know , might slip again. Its a life long issue

1 Like

I dont like to use the term alcoholic because it implies it still has some power over me which as long as I am not drinking it has no power over me so at that point I prefer to think of it as just getting rid of a bad habit. This seems to take the victim mentality and labeling out of it. Like somehow if I take a drink I’m immediately going to keep drinking until Im drunk. This is my idea of an alcoholic. Or someone who just drinks all day long amd is constantly in a state of drunkenness everyday. This isnt me and it probably isnt true for most. So in tjat respect thinking of it that way i feel like i still hve the power and the choice not to drink and thats exactly what im doing.

2 Likes