Is Alcoholism A Disease or..?

I respect your toughts on this but im not agree. And its ok .No offence really . Alcohol is just a symptom . We are all good people anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: it might not be a symptom for everyone. I honestly donā€™t know and Iā€™m learning everyday. For me I know I started to drink and liked it because I have anxiety. I think I will always have anxiety. I used alcohol to numb it so in a way itā€™s like a symptom or side effect of an underlying problem. Iā€™m choosing to quit booze because Iā€™ve relied heavily on it and itā€™s not healthy. Just my thoughts now. This is a long road and Iā€™m being honest when I say my ideas on this might change. Itā€™s still to early. Itā€™s great to hear everyones thoughts. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will and thank you! I hope it works for me too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

An alcoholic, no matter how long theyā€™ve been sober, is and always will be an alcoholic. Such is the burden of the disease. Alcoholics can, and often do, have the ability and will power to refuse that 1st drink, but if they lapse and take it, they wonā€™t stop at just one. Itā€™s a mental defect of alcoholism, just the way it is for us. Fight it all you want, but many of us who fought that fact did indeed relapse, and relapse again.

Some people, who may have been heavy drinkers, did not succumb to the defects of alcoholism and may have stopped in time before it took its roots. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to be moderate drinkers ever again. Myself included.

Calling it alcoholism, or yourself an alcoholic, isnā€™t truly labeling anything. Itā€™s being honest with yourself, and knowing that you have a problem with something. How else can you fix something if you donā€™t know what is wrong? By refusing to call something what it is, you create a mental block in your mind that you can still drink and just be fine. But if you are an alcoholic, this will land you with more problems, in a hospital, jail or even death.

And while everyone on this forum, and indeed this post, may not be an alcoholic, just remember that many of us who are have said the same things you all are saying. Weā€™ve all had those thoughts, and weā€™ve all fought that fight. Some won, many lost. The important part is to not give up when and if you do relapse. Just keep moving forward and take it one day at a time.

3 Likes

Alcoholics donā€™t use ā€œIā€™m an alcoholicā€ as a reason to drink. Those of us in denial do. Knowing we are alcoholics is what lead us to recovery. But everyone is different, and if just ā€œknowing itā€™s poisonā€ is what keeps you from touching it, good on you.

But as for the ā€œincurable diseaseā€ of the alcoholic, it truly is. There isnā€™t a day that goes by that I donā€™t see or hear about alcohol that makes my throat just a little thirsty. I have to remind myself daily of why I canā€™t have it. A normal person, one without this disease, does not have to do that. Itā€™s not usually a thought for them, to have to find and remind themselves of reasons to not drink.

1 Like

Good advice @karmaprogram :slight_smile:

Something else Iā€™d like to bring up is that there is no study that is 100% about alcoholism. So really no one knows for sure yet if itā€™s a disease or something else. :grinning:

For me, if I call my drinking a disease it takes away my accountability for my actions. If I have a ā€œdiseaseā€ itā€™s not my fault and I couldnā€™t help starting or quiting. Make sense? I had the power to start because I chose to and Iā€™m quitting because I m choosing to. I do agree I should never drink again because I developed a bad habit and would go back to drinking heavily.

Use the big book guys. Dive into it . I cant tell u to do so but just an offer . Many stories from around the world ā€¦

1 Like