Is smoking weed cheating on your sobriety?

Just curious what everyones opinion is. I dont mean switching drug of choice and replacing alcohol with it. Just occasional toke here and there.

9 Likes

I don’t think It Is. Some states medical Marijuana laws actually have alcoholism on the list of treatable diseases with weed. On the other hand some people don’t do well with any mind altering substance and I always hear people saying they eventually go back to their d.o.c because weed doesn’t do it anymore because u do build up a tolerance for it. I say if u r gonna do that be very careful. I used to smoke all the time instead of drink for a while but eventually I went back to drinking because my tolerance got so high I needed like a whole gram just to get high lol. Tread very carefully with it. For now I am staying away from it until I know for a fact I will not drink under any circumstance.

1 Like

Good question I would like to hear some suggestions on this.

I’ve wondered this myself. My husband uses nightly for sleep and I used to smoke to help put me to sleep or when I woke up at 3am. Now I stay away from it because it reminds me too much of when I was drinking.

I’ve smoked twice since getting sober. I kind of hate it, lol. I don’t think it’s necessarily cheating personally. As long as smoking doesn’t lead to your doc.

I’ve been smoking occasionally, on one hand I feel like it has helped a little with quitting alcohol, on the other I’m altering my mind by getting high and that’s not exactly sober. I’m on the fence.

4 Likes

I had no idea it is recomended some places for alcoholism. Interesting!

I smoked yesterday and rarely do. I dont consider it cheating but part of me feels like I shouldnt have. Not because I fear it getting out of control I just have a bit of guilt and wonder what was the point. It did however relieve some anxiety Ive been feeling since ive been sober.

1 Like

If you feel guilty about it then the answer is probably 100% yes lol

I guess it’s up to the indivitdual to determine the context and conditions of their own bouderies regarding sobriety. That having been said, you are injesting a substance that alters your mental and or emotional state, so that’s not “sober”. Personally using any substance to avoided or manage an uncomfortable situation is a no go because that’s my weakness.

I’m very compulsive with most things … even healthy behaviours I’ll take to the extreme and when I’m stressed it can go beyond my control.

2 Likes

I think it’s up to the individual. Maybe someone has an addiction to alcohol and that’s it. I know I have an addictive personality. I smoked weed daily for 10 years. I would have a beer every other night but ever liked being drunk. Then I quit weed and upped my alcohol intake. I just look for the escape. For me there is no “one or two” tokes or drinks or anything. I’m all in or I’m all out.

Today is 20 days all out :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I smoke regularly. My friend that is in AA told me that I’m not really sober then. In any case, my problem is with alcohol not pot. I didn’t trade one for the other, I’ve been a regular smoker for years, and now that I’m not drinking I’m smoking less. When I was drinking my brain would tell me to “smoke more, get more f’d up”.

8 Likes

When I was drinking I was living with my mom, single parent, I would steal to drink. I was smoking weed too, but a definite alcoholic. When I got into sobriety, I stopped drinking, but kept smoking. The Lord still blessed me with a job, my first apartment, new computer. And I was still smoking marijuana…

2 Likes

Jack Nicolson swears Weed saved him from drinking. I guess I can see why it’d help. I’ve never really smoked alot, so it’s a non issue for me. But with an addictive personality like mine, I wouldn’t be comfortable. But each to their own.

Great topic indeed. Personally I would feel like it would be cheating to ME, but if you can prove to yourself that you can do it and abstain from alcohol, than more power to you.

I feel like it would lead me down the rabbit hole quickly.

I’m loving this feed! Oh lord what I would do for a toke right now. When I smoked regularly was the only time in my life when I wasn’t a “heavy drinker”. I will never go back to alcohol. I always preferred weed to alcohol anyway. It just became less available when I moved to Arizona in 2001 and not available at all (at least in my circle) in North Carolina. I know now that I’m older and also a father I would not be a chronic smoker (I’d smoke the chronic, just not all day every day :grinning:) like back in my 20s, but chances are we’re moving back to our home state of Oregon in late March and yes folks… I will partake once again. So for me it’s not cheating on my abstinence from alcohol.

6 Likes

I was actually just thinking this over the last couple days. I am now 24 days off alcohol and over the moon! I don’t smoke often (probably been around 6 weeks) but do like the occasional toke. I don’t see a problem personally as I’m not addicted to weed only hooked on the drink. I plan on smoking again when the opertunity arrises. Like alot of people above are saying, it’s personal choice you have to make.

2 Likes

I have been smoking weed for a long time. I have never felt any negative effects of it or had anything detremental happen while smoking it. Someone once told me the reason couldnt remember anything was because i was mixing weed with alcohol. I proved this wrong the last time i got shit faced( pardon the honesty) cuz i hadnt smoked at all and that which occured i have no memory. Im 17 days sober from alcohol and find the i smoke less and my highs are clearer as well as more relaxed. I dont think its cheating because i believe marijuana to be as medicinal as taking advil for a headache. This is my personal opinion and experience. A younger me once said id never drink, weed was enough for me. Then i had a drink. Im trying to revert back to my base earth mother mentallity where i was a simple happy pothead ready for the world that isnt ready to be hugged. I have never been prescribed or taken anti depressants or anti anxiety meds. I have a freak out, I smoke some weed, I chill out and come to my senses vs. I have a freak out, i drink all the whisky, fall on the floor crying, have a hangover for three days. …Yeah, I smoke weed everyday.

6 Likes

That’s a personal choice I think. The way I look at it is it is still mind altering so I don’t, but it’s just a personal choice, I’ve sponsored people and recommend them not smoke, can’t force em not to but it can become a slippery slope.

1 Like

Alcohol and weed affect the brain differently. As far as science goes the only recognizably addictive quality to Marijuana is psychological. Different substances! They are so different that your relationship with one has almost nothing to do with the other (physically)… so it’s up to the user to define what levels of consciousness they consider sobriety to fall under and to decide what substances fit in each level.

3 Likes

In my opinion yes. It’s any mind altering substances. For me that and alcohol wasn’t my drug of choice and when I was doing that it lead me into a bad relapse which went on for another 3 year run…it could lead to other things hun so b careful

I smoke about 1-2 times a year if it’s offered at a social event. I don’t even always go for it. It is nothing like alcohol for me so I wouldn’t call it cheating. However lowered inhibitions might make me more susceptible to drinking depending on where I was doing it.

I think it’s up to you whether you are using it in an addictive manner and whether it could be a trigger.

3 Likes

I’m experiencing opiate withdrawals 30 days later… Drs want to just stuff pills down your throat, being on the more organic side I’ve chose MJ to deal with my panic attacks, and also my appetite. If it keeps you from returning to your substance of choice I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it :relieved:

4 Likes