It's difficult to make new friends now that I don't go to the bar

I recently moved to a new town for work. I used to meet people all the time and had a great social life. Now that I am sober I avoid the bar/party scene and find it difficult to meet new friends. I feel great about my life changes but it is kinda a lonely existence.

1 Like

In my experience, drinking buddies or bar buddies are not true friends. I literally cut those people off 10 days ago. I have no friends right now, but I am ok with that because I need to take care of me. Besides there is some great people here we have at least 1 thing in common with. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhh that’s a tough feeling.I moved from San Diego to West Virginia with my husband for 2 years and he was gone all the time. I felt so lonely for awhile that I got a job outside of my field since I wasn’t licensed there and joined a gym.I got in really good shape(even with drinking somehow) and planned trips to visit home months out, something to look forward to. Had the neighbors over for board games and BBQ 6 months in.became a regular thing.made 2 or 3 friends from work.
It really depends on your hobbies, your a social person so I’m sure you will find other stuff in common with people.
Don’t feel bad though, It’s weird going from having all your friends/family around to nobody, in a different place entirely.You REALLY get to know yourself and what you enjoy

What about that app Meet Up? Theres lots of groups to do with any interest you might have.

Find an AA group. Www.aa.org. my home group has movie nights, beach days, picnics, all kinds of things going on plus the fellowship is amazing and you are around people who know exactly what you’re going through. You never have to be or do this alone again. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose and could gain so much! Stay strong, stay sober, stay connected :rose:

3 Likes

I’m basically friendless now that I’ve quit drinking but i kind of like it that way…more time spent with my wife and kid…more time spent getting shit done that needs to be done…less time getting yelled at for being at the bar, less time being yelled at for money i should not have spent and less time spending money on other people in the bar for their drinks and smokes…and best of all, less time drinking and driving after feeling i needed to be around these people.
Id rather be a lonely sober person than a lonely drunk who thinks he has friends.

3 Likes

Well here’s the thing @Oliverjava …since i quit drinking i haven’t heard a thing from any of them.
I might see them around town and say hi but aside from that we no longer speak or hang out.
I’m guilty of it too…i dont try and call them or contact them but since i quit drinking i kinda have no reason to.
It’s like we were only friends…when drunk.

2 Likes