Losing hope

I couldn’t even last one evening with a friend, it’s like I had no willpower at all. I didn’t drink a lot I guess, but I know that even today a few hours ago I was motivated to keep sober and feeling proud of myself…and now once again I’ve screwed up. I literally never make it past three days, and now I’m back to day one again. I’m so close to just letting myself go back to the addiction, to giving up hope of ever truly getting sober.

I’d try not hanging out with someone who drinks or you typically drink with. I’m not sure I could abstain that early in my sobriety either.

Tomorrow is a new day! Use this as a learning experience and part of your recovery. :slight_smile:

Don’t give up! But you might have to distance yourself from certain people or things. I hate to say it but if this friend is truly looking out for your best interests they wouldn’t have put you in a situation where you even had to choose ya know?

1 Like

That’s what the addiction wants you to do! Sounds like you’re familiar with the struggle from your previous posts. You may need to keep totally away from alcohol or friends drinking it for a while if possible. Early days of recovery is no time to test willpower! Stay strong.

1 Like

I agree with the others, it might be wise to stay away from potential drinking situations until you feel really ready for it. You can do this :blush:

@taraindia if you truly want to get sober, you’ll have to be willing to do anything to make a change. You can’t keep doing the same thing expecting a different result. Distance yourself from people you party with, quit going to bars, don’t ever step foot in a liquor store. You need to gain footing in early sobriety. You’ll learn to get comfortable with yourself by initially being uncomfortable. You’ll learn to feel without numbing it. You’ll learn about yourself and this addiction. Youll learn how to take care of you body, mind, and spirit and give it what it needs. Is it easy? No, not always. Is it worth it? Absolutely. I highly suggest finding a meeting or some kind of support.

1 Like