My teen attempted suicide last night

He is almost 16 and transgender. I am across the country visiting family and he is with my husband and our 12 year old. He has agreed to not harming himself, one day at a time, and I bought a plane ticket so he can come to me (on Monday) and we can explore treatment options. Also, there is more trans support where I am now, including daily support meetings!

My mind us racing 100mph but I stayed sober last night. I actually didn’t even think about alcohol until this morning, which lead me to go get coffee instead. God, I hope all of this turns out okay :frowning:

3 Likes

Oh @Janelle that is so terrible. I’m so sorry that this is happening. You are doing your absolute best to be there for him. Great job on staying sober. He needs you to be fully present now more than ever. Getting him into a setting with lots of support and daily meetings will be a wonderful change. I’m sure that will help him feel more positive about life. Stay strong, Janelle. We are here for you. :green_heart:

2 Likes

Holy God. I wish you strength in a situation where you will undoubtly will need some. At a time like this you will have to be strong for yourself as well as your child.

I cant imagine what you are going through but I don’t pray often and I am saying one for you now.

1 Like

As a transman, one who was much beleaguered by suicidal ideation for a long, long time until he finally clawed and punched his way out, I offer my sympathy and my empathy. Stick with him. My mother and father were the tethers to sanity and the real world during that time, for me.

5 Likes

@Janelle. Sorry you’re family is going through this. The book I’m currently reading has a few pages on suicide prevention hotlines and other help. The link is below…

1 Like

Thank you for all of your love and support!

I have a room all set up for my kid when he gets here tomorrow and a giant list of options for him to look at with me. I am also getting my license and buying a car (at 35! Yeek!) because we are thinking about a healing road trip (me and the kids). I haven’t driven since I was a teenager but I think I am ready to gain some independence and get over my fears.

We (kid and i) are VERY optimistic and I think we will work all of this out.

2 Likes

By options, I mean therapy. We are tackling his mental health issues before anything else, and he will be supervised 24/7 for now. He has agreed to this…

Update: Teen’s flight alone went well and he is here now. We spent the day buying him new clothes and toiletries since I had him leave so fast and we had his favorite meal for dinner :slight_smile:
He is starting with a new therapist next week so we will spend this week checking out the city. All in all, everything is calm and he is very motivated to heal.

3 Likes

@Janelle

You and your family have been in my thoughts. The level of confusion for a teen in general is off the charts. You sound like your making all the right decisions and your in control of the situation.

In my experience there is a high chance of substance abuse in relation to his thought process. Just be aware, which I’m sure you are.

Keep us updated! We are here for emotion support.

1 Like