New here (and to recovery forums in general!)

I’m not going to bore anyone with my story, but in a nutshell I’ve had quite the relapse the last few months and am currently at 3 days sober and it feels like hell! So here I am trying to find some motivation or whatnot because I’m not in a position to get any kind of treatment or support (it doesn’t exist where I live now) and I’m going to have to do this myself. Any tips? Or just words of encouragement? Because I just want to make it longer than 5 days…

2 Likes

@taraindia welcome! This is a great forum that offers so much support! And your story isn’t boring, it’s an important part of you and how you got here.

That being said, before I even started meetings (and I realize you said that’s not an option) I read. Read lots of books where women told their stories and it really motivated me to stay sober. I had so much in common with these authors and it’s like I was reading about myself in different ways. This forum was also a huge help in getting connected and making friends with people who have the same struggles. Hard to relate to someone who still drinks to solve anything.

Another thing that helped is not giving a poop about what I ate. Treat yoself! Because man, those sugar cravings. :cake: :chocolate_bar: :candy:

5 Likes

Welcome @taraindia! Day 3 was always the hardest for me. The forum is a great resource. There are lots of supportive people here! Best advice for right now - keep busy. Distract yourself from the cravings and remember that they will pass. One step at a time. You can do this!

3 Likes

Hi @taraindia! I’m on day 18 and welcome to the forum. It’s never easy to turn your back on something that had such a strong hold of you. But my advice to you would be to keep busy busy and get outdoors, and stay on here!

2 Likes

Welcome to a comfort zone here taraindia. Your story matters as much as your recovery! We all have the very same goal and each share our different ways to get us there. The fact that you searched and chose a forum such as this one shows your sincere desire to reach out for help seeing your options are limited right now. I know for me, resetting my clock doesn’t excuse nor enable me to drink but it gives me a visual of my efforts. You will meet very many terrific, supportive and sincere people here. The beauty is its 24/7. Day 4 is just around the corner. The fog starts to fade.
Never give up. :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum! Spend some time reading around the topics as they come up. Many resources are linked to from here:

A number of groups such as SMARTrecovery have the concept of online meetings, I haven’t participated in them, but it’s an option if you’re isolated.

2 Likes

I’m trying to stay strong but I’m only one day in. I made it the first day. just don’t know if I can hack it I’m feeling weak already have to take one minute at a time right now. I’m getting screamed at for what I’ve done wrong and it’s not the I don’t deserve it it’s just adding to the stress and I’m feeling lost.

I read a lot online too, and a lot of people’s reasons for getting sober remind me why I want to and why I’m fighting on. Thankyou for commenting! Maybe at some point I will bore everyone with my story haha. Also the not giving a crap about what I eat is definitely helping - I recently recovered from eating disorders as well, so I wasn’t prioritizing the addiction recovery and probably couldn’t!

I’m so glad it’s not just me - day three always seems to stump me. I make day one fine, day two okay, but then by the end of day three I’m a mess. I’m pushing for day four now. I remember from getting sober last year that after 2-3 weeks it got a lot easier, but I don’t know how in hell I’ll ever make it that far again.

1 Like

Hi @AngelaAngel thank you for the positivity! I’ve been outdoors a lot while travelling (I’ve been backpacking in south america for three months) which is how I’ve managed odd days sober, but now I head back to real life. I’m going back to study which has always been a huge stressor (and therefore leads me to drink) so I’ll stick around here to try and keep going!

1 Like

@WhiteDoves thank you! I really hope it does fade away soon! I really do want to kick this and get help, I’d get into treatment if I could but where I’m living now doesn’t have any addiction treatment centres and the therapist I have doesn’t seem well versed in treating it either. I’m really glad to have found a safe space and I also find other people’s stories and motivations so helpful.

1 Like

I really hope you made the day @Cleanskier I really know the feeling of not being able to make it 1 day. 3 days is where I usually fall, and have done for the past 7-8 months. But we can do this!

2 Likes

I think I’m gonna make I I have a meeting in an hr and a very very clean house. But tomorrow I’m going to my cabin to Ski for work. And that’s the hardest place for me. I’m gonna have to clean the cabin out of all the booze and I’ll be alone with nothing but my thoughts at night. Hope to hold strong.

Welcome @Cleanskier and @taraindia the first week is the hardest but you can do this. “I can do this”