New Journey

I’m starting this road to recovery as alcohol has taken all its going to take from me at my age of 25. It’s interfered with jobs, with my relationship which I’m going to lose if I don’t get a handle on this crippling substance. I realize how dependent I’ve became on drinking every day off, how good I think it makes me feel when it’s really hurting me and the others around me. I don’t know why I’ve waited this long to get a handle on my life and with alcohol, but I figure starting late is better than not starting at all, I’ve mostly been just reading on here and was hesitant of posting at first, but I feel I’m intruding on others lives in some way if no one knows a little of my own story. This will be the end of waking up every day sick and hungover every time I have a day off, or possibly going into work already halfway drunk or worse just because I felt I could just do one drink while eating somewhere. Alcohol will no longer be my crutch for bad days or for hanging out with friends. I applaud every one of you for the kind words you’ve said to one another and look forward to sharing this accomplishment with you as I don’t feel comfortable with going to meetings.

7 Likes

You are so young and so smart for realizing this at such an age. Don’t even stress about it being “late” by any means. U totally got this and good for u for being so self aware and so strong!

1 Like

I knew my name was going to throw someone off sooner or later… it’s Kayleb, like Caleb, 25 male haha. Thank you! It means more than you know to hear kind words like that about being so self aware and such as my family growing up weren’t exactly the expressive type and still aren’t.

Yes I edited it right after I posted, my apologies! I actually just read it too quickly and thought it had said kayla. Thanks for reminding me to slow down!

I do mean everything I said!

Welcome @Kayleb101. Thank you for sharing…you’ve come to the right place.

Welcome @Kayleb101 who is a man, not a woman. :wink:

Congrats on deciding to change your life today! This is a great support group and has gotten me out of many difficult events (that involved alcohol and I couldn’t get out of). Welcome! :smile:

1 Like

Hi @Kayleb101, thanks for sharing all that, and welcome!

Thank you all for replying! And I can truly see that this support group and everyone on here mean well and want the best for each other over this too! It’s this type of confidence that can really make a change in someone’s life in overcoming this type of obstacle.

1 Like

The struggle has became more real than I thought today, as my addiction grew stronger when I went to my girlfriends house earlier to pick up my things, we’re not completely broken up yet but if I can’t get rid of this addiction I think we will be. I left her house after an awkward and uncomfortable moment, and immediately stopped at the store to buy a drink, I spent a good few minutes staring at soda and water, but then my view changed to alcohol, so I did buy a 6 pack, I regreted it but I did. I got home and immediately thought about getting on here to help me, as I really knew deep down alcohol wasn’t the answer to my problems. I’m posting this now, because the 6 pack is still now in my fridge and it’s getting harder and harder to not open one. That’s not including one of my good friends birthday is today and of course I promised earlier on to come to the bar with him. Any help?

I’m going to edit this, and say, I had to reset my counter, sadly…

Welcome! Best of luck! This app is great!

@Oliverjava I hope so. I thought I could do it, but it all ended up being something I couldn’t stand by myself without alcohol being my “friend”, but I did refrain from going out. I just hate it’s been so short of a time and I already gave in. I know im better than that.

I need help?

@Kayleb101 no need to white- knuckle it or just abstain, no need to be alone in this. Theres more to sobriety than just not drinking. There are great resources out there that will give you tools to live a better life.