New! Starting my college sobriety!

Hey guys, I can’t wait to join the community! I keep letting college get away from my grasp by choosing to do anything besides school work! I keep on choosing drinking, smoking, or staying up all night on my ADD meds only to choose to focus on anything besides work… Everytime school work is an option (it always is) it is put on the back burner and I never do it because I choose poorly… I have always been a heavy drinker since I was 13 so now is the time to eliminate all the bad decisions I can make and focus on doing what is good for me! I’d love to hear advice as this is my first time committing to something like this! My 22nd birthday is coming up next weekish and this is my present to myself! Hope it works out!! Good luck to all you guys! I believe in you!

7 Likes

@Mc_zack welcome!

1 Like

Welcome! I’m a student also. Congrats on your decision for sobriety:)

1 Like

@Mc_zack My addiction didn’t really start to take a hold until I was in my graduate program. I was drinking before class and sometimes after. I think I would’ve had a much better experience if I wasn’t smashed all the time. I loved my undergrad and excelled at it.

Don’t let drinking hold you back!

2 Likes

Welcome! You’ve made an extremely wise decision to quit drinking. Congratulations to you! You’ll be surprised at how much you’ll accomplish during your sobriety. Stick with It and enjoy the AMAZING benefits!

1 Like

@Mc_zack you " can’t wait to join the community" - you already have :smiley: . Welcome, it’s great you’ve recognised the problem so young. Enjoy the ride!

1 Like

Welcome! I wish I had done that in college. Instead I graduated at the bottom of my class, wasted a scholarship, and made life really hard on my mom. Good job. Keep it up. You’ll thank yourself when you’re thirty.

1 Like

Hey @Mc_zack!
I’m new here, too!
I have been studying entrepreneurship for 2 years in college now (I’m from Austria) and recently (my last use was 19 days ago, a week after my 24th birthday) decided to become sober. My drink at the club was always vodka, nearly two bottles a night by myself (now I’m a big guy, so somehow my body could take it). The decision to become sober didn’t come from my alcohol abuse tho. About 8 months ago I tried cocaine for the first time when I was drunk and kept on using it whenever I was heavily drinking (1-2 times a week). Not this might not sound like an extremely addict, but I feel like one. It scares me a lot. Luckily I didn’t loose much to drinking/using yet, but I think if I’d keep going like that I soon would. That’s why I am so happy to have made my decision to become sober. Hope sharing my story could help you to keep your head the right way!
You’re not alone!
Best, q.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the kind words! I love hearing them and will definitely be seeing you guys around the forum!

Hi @Mc_zack and welcome to the forum. Maybe take a look at this thread I started a while back about drinking and procrastination. It’s definitely something many of us are working on…

Hello zack. Congratulations on taking control of your life at such a young age. Your not the only one. I decided college at 22 and i thought i was already too old to enroll but i am so happy I fought all of the negative thoughts in my head and i just graduated 2 months ago with an engineering degree. I am now trying to get sober and enjoy quality of life instead of always wanting to be drunk. So far it has been very promising and im excited that I am getting sleep again. Sleep is very important to sobriety. Good luck on your endeavors