Physical Exercise

Oh good lord. Just home from the worst spin class ever. Substitute instructor. She looked like Shelly Duvall in The Shining, sounded as garbled as Charlie Browns teacher, and even at one point played a remake of Simon and Garfunkel Sound of Silence. How the hell am I supposed to get motivated by that??! Ugh, Susan, I will remember your name and avoid you! Definitely going for a run tomorrow!

1 Like

Months ago on Friday afternoon I’d be in the office anticipating the craft beers I’d be drinking before and when I got home. Today I was anticipating the evening’s run at the park! Got 3.6 miles. Was doing some 5/8 mile intervals working to maintain a pace of 7 min/mi. Also started running to a metronome. Not sure if anyone else has tried it, but i found it to be really beneficial on helping to maintain my pace. The weekend will most likely consist of cycling and more running.

2 Likes

I love that sleep tracker too. It’s amazing being able to track how much better I’m sleeping as well as improvement in heart rate!

1 Like

Got outside in Chicagoland, in January, for a 3.5-mile (I’ll call it a) run. Gloriously beautiful day to be out marching too!

2 Likes

Nice job @FeelingBetter!

There’s another great thread specific to running if anyone is interested didn’t know about it already click on the link below :

Runner's log

A new thing I love is doing side leg lifts. I have been doing them every day for a couple of weeks. For some reason the pain sort of tickles. It actually makes me giggle from the short term rush.

If I keep it up maybe my upper thighs will eventually get the weight lot message that the rest of my body got a while back.

1 Like

Yesterday I went to planet fitness and it was great I ran for about 20 minutes then went tanning it’s definitely a good replacement for drugs lol

3 Likes

One of the things that sucks most after having a baby is not fitting into any of your previous clothes. I’m now 5 months post partum, I’ve lost about 15 lbs of the 30 I gained. My sister almost died of an eating disorder when we were in our 20’s, and I have struggled with disordered eating and body dismorphia my whole life. To keep focus on health, and to lose the weight in a healthy way I am starting the 21 Day Fix on Monday!! Drinking is what would normally calm my anxiety but going forward I’m going to start seeing myself as worth it, to stay healthy and eat right/ exercise. My weight does not determine my value… that’s what I have to tell myself!! Looking forward to working out a bit more and seeing some positive results :grinning:

1 Like

@Allicat388 I applaud you for choosing to make positive changes for your health across the board. First off, a 15lb loss is a big deal…it’s tough to lose those pregnancy pounds…believe me, I even had a tough time with my own “sympathy weight” I gained during the pregnancy and birth of our twins. You are doing it though and that’s all that matters. I have finally arrived at a point in my life where weight and age are only numbers. I am in better physical shape as a 43 year old than I ever was as a 23 year old, and my weight, while 20lbs heavier than I was in my twenties, is healthier weight. It’s all about body composition and balance. Don’t get hung up on your numbers…use them as a guide to a point, but focus on being healthy and the results you want will come naturally. :heart:️who U are today. :muscle:t2::smiley:

1 Like

Frequency and consistency are the key to mastery of anything…whether that is sobriety or physical training. I throw another factor in to my training success matrix…variety. That’s why I mountain bike, run, lift, obstacle course race and climb. All of the disciplines build on and compliment one another. Decided to hit a bouldering gym yesterday with my kids for Super BOUL-dering Sunday. I am instilling in my children the value of DOING instead of watching from the sidelines. On a day that normally would be filled with eating junk food, drinking too much alcohol, staying up late partying and watching other athletes play their sport…I chose to spend quality time with my children while simultaneously allowing them to build their confidence, strength and endurance while having a ton of fun.

That is LIVING.

8 Likes

@Spartan_Chris Hey, fellow Spartan here. Started with my first Sprint in 2014, and got my trifecta in 2015. In 2016 I finished an HH12HR, and thats when I found out about Goruck. In 2017 I did 2 lights, 2 toughs, and 2 heavies. My last event was 3 days long where I finished a Goruck HTL. Not sure where to go from here. I need to sign up for something soon to keep me going. Being sober and fit is the best feeling. I love the edge sobriety gives me in the gym and towards accomplishing my goals.

1 Like

1 1/2 hour workout today, 5 km run and weights and core work. Followed by an hour in the thermal pool in my hotel, feeling great.

3 Likes

Awesome! I’m gonna check out some gorucks- working on my first trifecta this year. Have u checked out the UltraBeast or the Spartan Agoge? They look absolutely wicked.

1 Like

Does anyone know a good treatment for persistent calf strains?

Potassium levels okay? Good running shoes?

Eating bananas daily for potassium, I do need new running shoes though, project for tomorrow.

2 Likes

I have considered an ultra beast. Especially now that they offer one in Texas a couple hours from my house. I don’t plan on doing an Agoge, and definitely not the winter one.

1 Like

I’ve been watching the winter agoge online. Brutal!

Proper hydration, potassium levels and magnesium as well. Stretching and foam rolling after exercise.