Please help

Sat on the floor (again) glass of whiskey in hand just sniffing it at moment! Really trying not to drink it. Had a bad day emotionally and feeling so low just want to be numb. I know it won’t solve anything but… Oh crap. No one is ever here to stop me and I have been doing so well. It’s not even a justified way to relapse I am fucking pathetic :cry:

1 Like

You are not pathetic. You are used to turning to alcohol after a hard day. I totally get it. Dump that whiskey down the drain. It will only make you feel worse than you already do.

Feelings can’t hurt you but alcohol will. Sometimes if I’m feeling overwhelmed I will just curl up in bed and cry myself to sleep. That is OK to do. You are allowed to feel upset. You do not have to be a ray of sunshine and have it all together all the time.

Get the temptation away from you. You can do this.

6 Likes

Feel very pathetic have lost so many friends through my own fault now I am sober I have pushed so many away my support network has gone.
Am feeling so utterly alone. Having a little cry now and going to eat some cake! Whiskey down the drain. It’s not the answer but am still searching for what is. Totally lost

9 Likes

Why do you have it in the house?

Anyway, it’s an action you go through since it’s there. My roommates have so much alcohol in the house it’s not even funny. I don’t get to that point, I stop myself way before then.

For some people the temptation is way to high. My dad, went to rehab 4 times, and didn’t quit until he had throat cancer and pancreatitis. That in itself gives me some motivation.

Hey @NatalieE You are not alone! We are here for you!! :heart:

I agree with the wisdom of @MissQuinn, we have become so used to turning to alcohol, it’s a difficult thought pattern to break, but you can do it!!

And you are most certainly not pathetic.

3 Likes

Having a good cry and cake is far better option for you…

A good cry = lets out all those negative emotions that are festering inside you.

Tasty slice of cake = A treat from you, to you! Because you are a good person and you deserve it :smiley:

4 Likes

I agree with @Oliverjava - having a plan in place will definitely help you navigate these situations in the future. We are all here for you. I’m sorry you feel so alone. I’m glad that you posted in the forum and reached out for support. A lot of us can empathize with your feelings. Also - now I’m craving cake. :blush:

4 Likes

@zara it didn’t stop with cake, I have literally raided my kitchen chocolate and crisps. But the whiskey has gone, perhaps I was just testing going myself crying into a whiskey glass isnt going to help.
@Oliverjava thank you loved the motivational speech now want to watch Rocky. Most importantly thanks to your quick response I am still on my sober journey.
@Shattered_dreams the whiskey is my partners it just sits in a decanter I am not sure if I am keeping it there as a test something that I can have at any moment but if I can resist I am stronger than it, if that makes sense.
Thank you all you have been my support when I have no one to turn to, no judgement or negativity.

3 Likes

Chocolate and crisps? In the same mouthful I hope!! :joy:

Glad you threw away the whiskey, it’s just not worth it!!

As for the support, we’re always here to turn to, we’ve got your back my friend :heart: :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you that means slot

1 Like

Yeeees @NatalieE so proud of you for fighting through it. Cake and chocolate always make me feel better too

I’m with @Shattered_dreams on this one. Wasn’t your last post about staring at a bottle in your house? You are not going to stay sober if you’re pouring it, holding it in your hand, smelling it. Ack! That would be hard to resist for anyone!

Great job on pouring it out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah seems to be a recurring thing for me. I have now got rid. So no more temptation.

1 Like

Good job on pouring it out! My advice is to get out of the house and take a long walk. I don’t know where you are but it’s spring in NY and it’s beautiful. Several months after I stopped drinking I was walking in my neighborhood and I smelled something I couldn’t place. Flowers. I realized that I had literally stopped smelling the flowers. As I continued with sobriety, my senses came back to life. I could appreciate nature again. It took me out of my head and gave me a different perspective. When I find myself feeling down or tired or bored, I put on my sneakers and take a walk. And I almost always feel better afterwards. Maybe it will work for you. :blush:

3 Likes

Don’t give up! I’ve been there before. Where it’s been so bad and I’m struggling so much that all I want to do is give up. No matter what’s happening it will be okay in the end!

1 Like

Hey @NatalieE. You should be proud that you got through this! But be careful sometimes a near-relapse can lead to a relapse if you’re not strong again.

I see a number of people out here today struggling with slip/relapse. I would recommend spending some time studying relapse prevention and how to deal with cravings. Some good resources are in these posts:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

Thanks everyone for the support. Had a big long chat with my partner n he said he was so proud that I poured it away. He said he would of been angry if I had been weak. Was really nice to chat to him about everything he knew what triggered it and he was concerned.
Just got to focus on my triggers and take your advice and make a prevention plan. It is tough though when you can’t seem to see the light any more xxx
:muscle::muscle::slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope you have a better day today! And it’s awesome to hear that you’ve got a supportive partner.