Question: Do supplements actually help while recovering from alcohol and drugs addition?

Hi guys! I m feeling quite tired and nervous lately and i was wondering if supplements might help me. If so, which ones do you use? Let me know!

2 Likes

You’ll have lots of advice coming your way on this :wink:

I have taken a multi vitamin and mineral supplement from day 1 sober. I’ve still felt tired and all the things you’ve mentioned, but I’m sure I would have felt a lot worse without them.

My diet was all over the place and liver test results were bad.

Just had a retest and liver has improved after 69 days sober.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :hugs:

2 Likes

Yes. A good multivitamin, especially one high in B complex will help. Alcohol and drugs deplete certain nutrients from our bodies. Also look at your macros. More protein, less carbs. I take turmeric for aches and pains too, and krill oil.

4 Likes

I took emergen-c and hydrated plenty. When your appetite sux and you cant eat detoxing this can be a great substitute until you can get them naturally. As for supplements for sleep, rls , etc… you may get mixed reviews as some make work for some but not others…

1 Like

Personally I can say 100% yes. But they for work alone.

Hey work as part of a recovery support plan.

5-Htp: anxiety, sleep, depression start with half a dose every other day and take it early to get as many hours sleep as you can. If you don’t feel like you need t don’t take it.

Uber Magnesium: anxiety and sleep muscle soreness from working out.
Inositol: anxiety (ocd in my case) sleep
Niacin: anxiety sleep
Melatonin: sleep (works best in a super dark room)

I had a plan for my usually drinking times and cravings which involved a lot of reading Recovery related books, doing SMART RECOVERY worksheets ( you can google it and print them for free) eventually I added exercises and had a list of foods and snacks that were good for me and kept me busy during cravings.

Cognitive behavioural therapy worksheets for anxiety also helped me develops new coating strategy that I was able to reach lace my drinking with.

Anxiety was one of the main things that kept me drinking until I came up with this plan. Hope something here is helpful to you.

1 Like

I forget what multivitamen they gave me in rehab but it definitely worked. If you go to a pharmacy the employees should know just the thing. But I definitely recommend it.

1 Like

Here’s a very comprehensive outline of supplements to help with recovery…

3 Likes

Thank you everyone! I’m starting with a multivitamin with high B vitamis plus vitamins from the group a, c, h, D and lots of minerals like iron calcium fosforo zinc and more

1 Like