Relapse and Introduction

Hi everybody,

I’m new to this app so please bare with me! Well, I could of celebrated 60 days of sobriety today but I had to hit the reset button :frowning: What a waste, and I feel horrible. This wasn’t the first time either. I drank 3 times in the last 9 days and wake up as if nothing happened. I don’t get hangovers anymore and this continued even after so much clean time… doesn’t make sense to me. I kind of wish I did so it would be easier to let go, but it’s not.

I’ve been drinking heavy for about 10 years now (quit when I was pregnant of course) but that’s the longest I’ve gone for as long as I can remember. Having close to 60 days clean was amazing to me, but I blew it. I know early in it is most common to relapse, but 3 times? So soon? I am a strong willed person and very dedicated to my goals, but something has a hold on me. I hate not having control of my alcoholism…

When my son died last year, he was only 7 years and 7 months old. I lost him to a neuromuscular disease he was born with called Spinal Muscular Atrophy (the infantile type of ALS). He went into cardiac and respiratory arrest in the middle of the night and I found him non-responsive. He was fully dependent on life support since 2 months of age, and fought hard to win many battles with amazing grace. He inspired me. He still inspires me. I want to stop drinking to honor him, Justin- my baby.

Will I be able to make it past the 60 day mark? I hope so. I need to not only for myself, but for Justin.

I hope to keep using this tool to be accountable for my actions and to learn about each other. Feel free to reach out to me anytime.

-K

4 Likes

Welcome @Kellyaheim to the forum. I can’t imagine losing a child…my heart goes out to you and your Justin.
Are you working any recovery to get to the root of why you drink and learn some tools to living a better life?

1 Like

I’m currently in outpatient rehab (self referral) and it is like my life-line. Alcoholism runs in my family and my other half is an alcoholic as well. We both need help, but I am the only one seeking it right now…

I’m so sorry to hear about your son! And all that you have been through as a parent due to his illness. I cannot even imagine losing a child. But I have a daughter who was born with a rare chromosomal disorder, so I can relate a little bit to being a parent who has it harder than others that have normal’ healthy children. I believe you can get sober for more than 60 days and beyond. Keep posting here - it’s a supportive group of people.

2 Likes

I cannot imagine losing a child as you did. It breaks my heart to even think of it. I lost my husband to cancer in 2012. I’d been a heavy drinker for years but his passing sent me into full blown alcoholism. I’ve been trying for five years to stop drinking without success. I am finishing day two of my current restart. This forum has really helped me not pick up a drink. I’m glad you’re here and thank you for sharing with us.

3 Likes

Welcome both @Kellyaheim and @Roga!

I can’t even imagine what you’ve been through @Kellyaheim. I’m so sorry for your loss, but I know you can get past the 60 days. You made it 60 days and no matter what’s going on in your life, it is always possible.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the encouragement. Now I have to get used to the sleeplessness again for a couple of days…

1 Like

Thank you Karen, I’m so happy I started using this app :heart:

2 Likes

We can do this! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine what you are going through. I think for a mother to lose a child is the hardest thing to possibly have to go through. And because of this I truly admire the fact that you are on this app and trying to help yourself get better. This takes great courage you’re showing! I wish you the best and stay sober!

1 Like

HI @Kellyaheim and welcome to the forum. First, I am so sorry and sad for your tragic loss. As a parent, I can’t even imagine.

60 days is amazing, and it proves what you are capable of! Those days still count and have taught you much about yourself. I relapsed twice, but still have about 15 months sober time in total. Try to educate yourself on tools and support available via links people mentioned here, and continue on. I think it is always helpful to imagine what a lost loved one would want for you - certainly not the slow death of alcoholism. It helps me with the pain of those losses. Stay strong and keep coming back no matter what happens! :muscle:

1 Like

That’s one of the things I hate the most…having my sleep disrupted. Well, to be honest, the alcohol was a big disruption in and of itself. I would drink one or two bottles of wine before bed to make sure I would pass out and have “no problems” with sleep. I guess my motivation was to make sure I didn’t have to lay there with my own thoughts and feelings - actually feeling them. If I was blotto by bed, I wouldn’t have to worry about it. My doctor recommended Melatonin which is over the counter and not habit forming. Have you tried it? I take about 3mg an hour before bed. It helps. Take care!

3 Likes

I can totally relate 100%! Yes but it makes me really groggy. I started listening to nature sounds and drinking peppermint tea before bed and it reallllly helps!

If you have the will, there is a way! :heart:

Same here. I love sleep and getting that back has been so amazing. Insomnia is hell.