Sober Job Seekers Unite

Ok, so I’ve noticed that a lot of us here are looking for work, or have been unemployed for a long period of time. The whole process of job seeking can have a negative impact on us, whether it be, nerves, anxiety, rejection, it can become soul-destroying. It’s difficult to sell ourselves when we don’t feel like we have much to sell.

Job hunting can be a very lonely pursuit and the whole process can be become a massive trigger!!

I thought it was be nice to start a topic where we could support each other and discuss the ups and downs of jobhunting.
Maybe share tips for success, experiences, vent frustrations, check in daily that kind of thing…

4 Likes

Perhaps I should start - I currently work in a Jobclub, it was 4 hours a week, which was enough to get by and no more. In December 2015 I left college and should have began looking for more or alternative work. Instead I lost all belief in myself, went into hiding and turned to alcohol, sobering up just long enough to go to my 4 hours of work.

At the beginning of this year It was cut to 2 hours a week, not enough to get by on, but I refuse to get involved in the government’s ‘benefits’ regime. Given the line of work I am in, I know all too well what that involves!!

Anyway, here I am once again job-seeking and yet I can’t even bring myself to update my CV! Ironic really, given how many CV’s I’ve helped complete for other people.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

6 Likes

Hi @Zara, Great idea for a topic! I don’t have much time right now, but I will definitely be here!

1 Like

Hi all, i’m currently jobless and it sucks!! The interview process for me is a pain in the ass and the sad thing is i’m tired of taking office jobs I cant stand. Its very difficult trying to find a job you love. I have a college degree but it was a waste thinking of going back to Nursing school. I’m sober though 80 days!!! Keeping the faith. :innocent:

2 Likes

This one is a real struggle for me too. I left the company I had worked for for 23 years last June. It was down to my drinking - several stints of 2/3 weeks off and 3 rounds of 28 day rehabs in 18 months.
They were massively supportive, but when they gave me the option to leave - despite everybody’s thoughts that I should stay - I just thought f*ck it.
In truth I blame the job partly for the massive upturn in my drinking. Now I have finally got a stint of sober time I am looking at jobs again. I am also trying to write CV (last copy I had was only saved to work laptop - idiot me!).
Trouble is I have no idea what I want to do! I do know I don’t want to go back to 9-5 office work.
I think I’d like to work with animals, or in a garden centre, or do something worthwhile that I get some sense of satisfaction from. Either that or sell up and go travelling. Or be a sunflower farmer.
The thought of interviews fills me with dread. So yes I have been browsing the internet for local jobs, but am getting disheartened…
So, yes please, answers on a postcard! :sunflower:

3 Likes

@Zara. I wasn’t sure what a “jobclub” is and tried to look it up. I live in USA. Like you said in the intro, job search can be filled with anxiety, rejection, and it gets soul-crushing. (In fact I just got a “nice” rejection email today - sigh) I sometimes think if I could retire now, sobriety would be relatively easy! But “only” in my 50’s still, and have family to help support.

That is ironic about the CV! It is a big source of procrastination and anxiety. I eventually paid a writing service to help rewrite mine (the guy is actually in the UK) but it also helped to stop worrying that it wasn’t “perfect” -it’s subjective anyway and can evolve. I think the shorter and more to the point the better.

Hi @Danielle_Nicole_Oval I saw your struggles on the other thread. Let’s keep trying!

@SallyD Your career lifespan sounds in my range - I had 20-someting years before they offered me a package. My job performance was definitely affected by my drinking for years. If you really feel you do have options - that’s good!! I guess just take a careful look at your cashflow and needed healthcare coverage, etc.

I don’t have many options to play around with. Just need to make a decent salary to contribute. My wife works FT and right now and in-laws are helping us financially - very uncomfortable situation!

2 Likes

Hi all,

Well got my first rejection through snail mail on this beautiful Saturday Morning here in Georgia not sure why a letter. Most employers just send an email. Don’t get too personal with a rejection, I find this a bit arrogant on the hiring party. So my job search is still a little early 3 weeks in, but feels like awhile, guess time is relative right. Anyways this rejection letter was for a part time job, mind you and probably like $12 to 14 an hour. If I am honest with myself I didn’t want this job & really went to interview for the practice. It was a commute for a little money, and wouldn’t have been worth it. I mean not too sound egotistical its just, I have made a lot more money on my own doing Ubering. The woman I interviewed with I knew right away there was no connection but I still find myself being annoyed by being rejected for a job I didn’t want & wasn’t considering taking and if I did take it, would have been out of desperation for :heavy_dollar_sign::money_with_wings: which is never good for either parties involved. However im still angry about it, damn ego. Oh well I will get through this, like I will get through the day not drinking. 82 days sober hooray for that!! :grin: Thanks for letting me rant about my life. I just find the process of job hunting boring as hell :smiling_imp: & a joke :clown_face: guess I better get more serious :nerd_face: about the process & roll with the punches. Let’s go get the job we deserve and not settle for anything less!!!

2 Likes

Hi @Danielle_Nicole_Oval Sorry to hear about your job rejection. I know you said you didn’t want it anyway but it still sucks. At least they got back to you at all though eh, most places just leave you hanging - or at least they do in the UK.

You’re right about the interview though. It’s always good to keep those interview muscles flexed so when your perfect job comes along, you’ll nail it!

I hope you’re having a great Monday :sunny:

@JohnSee Job clubs (a.k.a work clubs) are open sessions set up to help people look for employment.
Computers are available to use and in some cases phones as well. We provide help using computers for those who are not very IT literate, filling in online application forms and CVs etc

They are Government funded schemes and given our decreasing number of customers a week, it was cut to 2 hours a week. Of course there are other clubs in the area but they are not looking for staff.

I need to look for additional if not alternative work, my problem is I am very restricted in what I can apply for…
Retail and catering would involve working hours outwith my childcare capability.
Office work would be my obvious choice as people always love to point out, but my problem with that is I can’t work with telephones - it’s not that I have impaired hearing, I struggle to understand what people are saying to me face to face, and over the phone it’s even worse.

It’s one of the main reasons I lost a previous job after only 4 months (that and the high pressures of the office that I simply wasn’t experienced enough for).
And because the problem with my hearing is not medically diagnosed it’s not taken seriously by employers.
I worry that if I go for the same line of work again and end up in a similar predicament I will be up sh*t creek without a paddle.

The place I am now, though only 2 hours, they are the guys who took me on when I lost the previous job. I had volunteered with them before so when I lost the job, they snapped me up. They were my lifeline.
So I guess my point is, I’m scared to take a risk that could lead me something much better because it could just as easily leave me with NOTHING.

Sorry for rambling on, this has been playing on my mind really heavily this weekend.

Hi @Zara thanks for explaining “job club” there is a similar concept here, under various names.

Sorry about your situation, I didn’t know about your hearing disability. What is this condition know as if anything? Is it maybe neurological?

I have hearing loss that was diagnosed years ago, but I never tried a “hearing aid”, not sure if it would help me. I am ok with clear 1-on-1 conversations, but not with any large rooms or background noise. (basically I have about 10 ways of asking people “what?”)

My wife and in-laws suggested I “sub” as a teacher, but I cannot hear anything in a classroom setting with kids. My wife even suggested an opening she saw for 911 emergency operator - I asked if she wanted people to die?! :smile:

Anyway it’s ok, please ramble away. I always do. I hope you find more options.

Monday is the hardest day of the week for me. Job-search and training tasks all start up after the weekend. Using my anti-procrastination list, but dragging my feet a bit today. Going to get to it now!

1 Like

Hi @Danielle_Nicole_Oval. Snail mail, that was almost nice of them! I got one via email last week. Interview practice is always a good idea - but only if we get a thicker skin and not take it personally. Feel don’t settle unless you absolutely have to financially. Happy hunting.

Haha ye it’s so hard to get going on Mondays!

My hearing problem seems to match a lot of the symptoms of audio processing disorder which is neurological. Had the ears tested after I lost the job, there was no signification damage. Asked audiologist if it could be APD, he said ye could be, I’d just have to learn to listen better, not very helpful.

I’m the same as you, any background noise and I’m lost. Have to watch TV with subtitles (closed captions) often struggle to understand what my kids are saying. I haven’t alway been like this, I once worked as a telephone operator. Certainly couldn’t now :joy:

1 Like

Oh that is interesting, had not heard of APD. That is challenging. Just for curiosity I tried to google “good jobs for hearing impaired” buy of course google just flooded me with job sites & ads! Maybe other search engine better.

I once interviewed a deaf programmer when I was working. IT is one field where deaf people can work because of docs/emails/messenger, etc. But it’s still a challenge.

I watch tv/movies with CC as well. Funny thing is, my family got so used to it, they use CC even when I’m not watching! That way they don’t miss any dialog.

Hi Sober Job Seekers, to switch gears a bit. Not sure who was on this other topic I started about how addiction and procrastination feed off of each other. (I pasted the link below) but what came out of it was a compiled list of anti-procrastination ideas from people and myself. This I believe especially applies to job search. Here is my most recent version. I print it each day and keep it on my desk. let me know what people think, or if you have other ideas regarding procrastination and job-search:

Latest Anti-Procrastination list:

• Procrastination can be about fear, discomfort, and confusion - it is not a trait of a person
  • Turn negative thoughts about a test into positive desires and outcomes. For example “I don’t want to study” into “I want to get an A!”
  • Break a daunting task into smaller bites or chunks
  • Write out a plan with a set of goals or milestones
  • Create specific to-do lists
  • When you have free time, FIRST do one productive/needed task THEN do the entertaining or low-priority task
  • Block off at least 3-4 hours for productive job-search / skill-building activities, try for more
  • Reward tasks done with downtime or something entertaining
  • Set an alarm and get up/ready as if you are going to work, and get enough sleep the night before
  • No watching TV/movies during normal “work” hours except for say a lunch break
  • Learn from motivational videos
  • Stay sober! - or nothing will ever get done

|
|

2 Likes

@Zara @JohnSee

Thanks for the kind words, i was just bummed about my first rejection here in Atlanta.I think rejection in general is a trigger for me when it comes to drinking. But i’m staying strong, 84 days sober and will not beat myself about getting rejected, just brings up old wounds for me. Wow job hunting is hard enough I cant imagining the struggles being faced with hearing loss & job hunting.Job interviews are so judgy which really grinds my gears about the whole process. I know we will all find the right job for us, just have to be patient. I know thats another problem I have, is putting pressure in myself which stresses me out and makes me want to drink but I know I don’t need a drink. Thanks for helping to ease the pain without drinking.

1 Like

Hey @Danielle_Nicole_Oval. Thank also. I definitely sympathize with you about rejections and the process. Wish I could be these candidates who don’t give a sh*t and brush it all off. So much of it also is random luck and very subjective, depends on the interviewer, their mood that day, how quickly they judge, biases, etc. It’s not always about the candidate.

Well today I got a phone call about a job I really want and i’m feel pretty excited right now!!! I swear life is a roller coaster of emotions one minute your up and the next your down. Good thoughts needed, I hope this goes well all, thanks for positive motivation. I am giving it to God and hope something great will be happening for me very soon. Thanks :grin: gotta keep the faith :innocent: No matter what happens gotta stay grounded & sober 87 days strong.

1 Like

Oh that’s great @Danielle_Nicole_Oval, what a great boost to your day!! :sunny: I’ll keep my fingers and everything else crossed for you.

If it’s meant to be for you, it will be :rainbow:

@Zara
Thanks, I already interviewed & they were talking money so I’m feeling good, so far. Appreciate the good vibes, sending vibes your way as well. :hugs:

3 Likes

Hey all! Just updated my resume for the first time since 2013! I’m going to be heading back out into the working world after staying home with my son for the past year.

I have to wait until August because we are moving back to the East Coast in July. But I am very excited to start putting the feelers out and lining something up for after the move! :blush:

4 Likes