This could be my last post

My question is what’s the point of drinking if you aren’t trying to catch a fade? I drank for the feeling, yeah I fooled myself saying I drank craft beer for the taste, that doesn’t explain the 6 pack of 9% beer I ingested in an hour, lol.

Figure out why you need alcohol to reach that pinnacle of happiness and you’ve found the root cause of your addiction. I’m still not there yet, but I have admitted alcohol induced “fun” isn’t all that innocent.

Hang tough!

5 Likes

Managed to manage I think. I have not drank a thing all week. Yesterday I was stressed and thought about it again. I didn’t give in. I even went to the supermarket today and walked past the wine isle; I told myself that I didn’t need it. I’m very stressed today but I’m am not going to give in. I hate this feeling of even thinking about it.

2 Likes

Thank you. I don’t even know if I can have fun without drink. I really do have a problem

2 Likes

@Brave we all have a problem WHEN we drink/use…that’s why we’re here. You absolutely can have fun without drinking…experiencing different things sober with clarity is awesome. Our society has taught us that we need alcohol to socialize, have a good time, to feel normal…when simply this isn’t the truth. Freedom comes in sobriety. As for drinking in moderation…I don’t have that ability. Years of experimenting with “Only on weekends, only on fridays, only on holidays, just 1 or 2” has taught me that once I put it in my body, I’m off to the races. 1 is too many and a 1,000 not enough. Today, I don’t feel the need, the compulsion, to do that to myself. I love waking up without the hangovers, the guilt, the remorse…not having to puzzle piece the previous night together from a blackout. Sobriety has given me clarity and tools to live, not just exist.

6 Likes

Thanks melrm. I spoke to my partner about not drinking at all and he said that it’s a great idea, however, he likes a drink on a Saturday night. I don’t really want drink in the house because the devil on my shoulder will easily persuade me to have one, which will lead to more. You have obviously been there yourself; how did you get through those times without drinking? I am not sure how strong I am x

@brave I highly suggest looking into recovery meetings, like AA or SMART to help you learn tools for living, to get you out of the house during trigger times, and to be around others in recovery. White-knuckling it simply isn’t enough and there’s no reason for it when we have all these resources at our disposal…

Thank you so much, you are a true saint

No, I’m just like you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I totally get it.

Can you list 5 activities that sound fun?

1 Like

Drinking (joke)
Singing loudly to music
Dancing
Running
Drawing
Dinner with friends

2 Likes

Man I’d make it a point to do one of those things a day.

Having fun is a perspective, shit I have fun cleaning, I mean cleaning, wtf lol. You have programmed yourself to let loose and become a fun person as soon as you get inebriated, tap into that neurology and adapt it to sober activities- over time you’ll be able to tap into it as you wish.

BTW, in a world where entitlement and mass-media-elitism is the norm, it’s easy to forget somethings do just suck ass. Embrace that.

I’m reading a book called “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck,” it’s a fun read so far, which covers some things that may be useful to a person in recovery. Anyways let’s do this, I’m stoked that some of my emotions are coming back, drunken apathy was a bitch :slight_smile:

Let’s get 2 weeks under our belts and see what’s good! #regainrebuildrelaaaaaax

3 Likes

I’m going to do that. I also looked at that book. I have just finished The chimp paradox, which was an excellent way at looking at addictive behaviours. I’m trying to get this stuff in my head to try and understand why I act in the way I do. 4 whole days up to now and I’m going to keep going. Thanks for your support.

Always! Choose a date, and I’ll stay sober with you! Accountability is a beautiful thing!

I need all the accountability possible: my buddies birthday is on St. Patties day and we normally have a solid pour of Macallan 30 yr, he may slap the shit out of me for ruining the tradition buttttt…fuck it, let’s do this :wink:

3 Likes

Saint Patrick’s day is today! You are really gonna do this today??? I’m happy to start our journey from Monday if you like? I haven’t had a drink but the last thing I want is to put you under ridiculous pressure lol x let me know what you wanna do x

1 Like

Just dooooo it!

3 Likes

OK let’s do it. How long have you done up to now?

2 Likes

Well @Success?

2 Likes

You name the rules, I’ll oblige :)…anyone else in?

It wouldn’t be fair, I never drink!

1 Like

That was another night with no alcohol. I really wanted a drink last night- I don’t think there has ever been a Friday night when I haven’t had a drink, but I did it! I drank tea, coffee, lemon in water instead!

Now I just have to get through a Saturday night where I know my partner will be drinking. This is going to be the hardest ever for me.

4 Likes